26 | Fears

Evelyn's POV:

My mother and father opened the door to my office, as we all three stormed in.

Kane stood outside of the room as I closed the door behind us.

We literally just got home, and they already want to yell at me. Why? I honestly don't know.

My mother began to shake her head as she laughed sarcastically. "I would just like to know what the hell you did to make, Brady MAXWELL not want to marry you, Evelyn."

My eyes narrowed in offense. "I didn't do anything wrong. He decided this on his own. Not me."

My father shook his head as he his back faced me and my mother.

"Joshua. I would really appreciate it. If you would back me up here?"

He continued to shake his head as he sighed out. "I have nothing to say Isabella, the man made his choice. He doesn't want to marry her, and we can not do anything to force him."

My mother growled as he turned to face me.

Her finger began to wave in the air towards me.

"I can't even believe this. All of our hard work has been gone to waste. We have done everything we possibly could to find you a perfect match."

I narrowed my eyes. "I never said that you guys didn't?!"

My mother rolled her eyes as she crossed her arms.

"These little games of yours. Has to STOP. You don't think we know that you go out with your friends to bars and dance and drink like a stripper?"

My lips parted as I felt my body begin to shake in fear.

Are they fucking serious?

"It was one time! I am 22 years old! I am allowed to go out and have fun!"

My mother took a step closer to me as she raised her voice.

"Yes! And look at what your FUN has caused. You now no longer have a possible suitor! You have ruined any chance at becoming a wife! No one is going to want you now that you have been rejected by Brady!"

I felt tears began to hit the brim of my eyelids, but I did my best to contain them.

"My fun has caused nothing! My fun has caused me to finally feel like I am free! I am stuck here almost every day doing God knows what, to be the perfect daughter, the perfect princess. Can't I just be a normal person and do what I want?!"

My mother's face began to get red.

She was pissed.

She was so shiny and proper that she had forgotten what it was like to be a regular person.

She has forgotten what it feels like to actually have fun instead of doing your duties as a royal every single day.

She sighed out. "I have done everything for you, Evelyn. We have both tried to prepare you for what life will be like when you are queen, and you still don't seem to understand the importance of it. Would you rather go out and risk everything just to have FUN!?"

My tears began to glide down my cheeks as I quickly swiped them away.

"You are an embarrassment, Evelyn."

My father finally turned around as he held his hand up.

"Now, Isabella. That is not right."

My eyes looked between them as I tried to find some reassurance in my father.

My mother has been mean. And she has had her fair share of yells. But this tops the cake.

She was so mad at me, to the point where I wasn't even sure I could handle this much.

"No." She said as she pointed her finger at him.

His eyes glared into hers.

"She has disrespected us for the last time. We do everything for her, and she can't even appreciate it."

My father shook his head once more.

"That is not fair!" I said. "I do EVERYTHING for you both all the time! And when I go out one time! You both act like it's the worst thing in the world! You know, I never wanted to be a princess or a queen. I did it to make YOU happy, mother." I said as I pointed my index finger at her.

"YOU forced me to keep secrets from the both of you. YOU forced me to want to become an actual human."

That was the last thing I said before I began to walk out of my office.

"Evelyn Hale!" I heard my father yell.

But I didn't dare turn around.

I grasped the door knob into my hand as I turned it to the right and pushed it open.

I walked out into the hallway, and as I looked straight ahead. Kane was leaning against the wall.

And as soon as he saw my face, he immediately stood straight and walked towards me.

I slammed the door closed, as he now only stood a few feet from me.

He opened his mouth to say something, but before he could even utter a single sound, I interrupted him.

"I am going to bed, goodnight."

I walked towards the stair case with every single ounce of energy I had left.

My brain was basically fried.

I will never unthink the things that my mother said to me.

And sometimes I can't help but wish I was born into a different family.