Chapter one

{just so y'all know i had a much better draft before this but it was deleted and i didnt feel like writing the whole thing out again soooo...}

Albus Dumbledore was having a good day before the news came. what news you ask?well the news that Harry potter was in a muggle orphanage, and not just any normal orphanage no. Wools orphanage.

when he arrived he was led to the matron mrs.coles office.

"Good afternoon," said Dumbledore, holding out his hand to Mrs. Cole

"My name is Albus Dumbledore. I sent you a letter requesting an appointment and you very kindly invited me here today."

Mrs. Cole blinked. "Oh yes. Well -- well then -- you'd better come into my room. Yes."

She led Dumbledore into a small room that seemed part sitting room, part office. It was as shabby as the hallway and the furniture was old and mismatched. She invited Dumbledore to sit on a rickety chair and seated herself behind a cluttered desk, eyeing him nervously.

"I am here, as I told you in my letter, to discuss Harry Potter and arrangements for his future," said Dumbledore.

"Hadrian," the matron corrected him, "he prefers to be called Hadrian.

"Oh" dumbledore replied shortly frowning

"Are you family?" asked Mrs. Cole.

"No, I am a teacher," said Dumbledore. "I have come to offer Harr-Hadrian a place at my school."

"What school's this, then?"

"It is called Hogwarts," said Dumbledore.

"And how come you're interested in Hadrian?"

"We believe he has qualities we are looking for."

"You mean he's won a scholarship? How can he have done? He's never been entered for one."

"Well, his name has been down for our school since birth --"

"Who registered him? His parents?" There was no doubt that Mrs. Cole was an inconveniently sharp woman.

dumbledore slipped his wand out of the pocket of his suit, at the same time picking up a piece of perfectly blank paper from Mrs. Cole's desktop.
"Here," said Dumbledore, waving his wand once as he passed her the piece of paper, "I think this will make everything clear."

Mrs. Cole's eyes slid out of focus and back again as she gazed intently at the blank paper for a moment.

"That seems perfectly in order," she said placidly, handing it back. Then suddenly she said, "He's a funny boy."

"Yes," said Dumbledore. "I thought he might be."

"He was a funny baby too. He hardly ever cried, you know. And then, when he got a little older, he was. . . odd."

"Odd in what way?" asked Dumbledore inquisitively.

"Well, he --"

But Mrs. Cole pulled up short, and there was nothing blurry or vague about the inquisitorial glance she shot Dumbledore

"He's definitely got a place at your school, you say?"

"Definitely," said Dumbledore.

"And nothing I say can change that?"

"Nothing," said Dumbledore.

"You'll be taking him away, whatever?"

"Whatever," repeated Dumbledore gravely.

She squinted at him as though deciding whether or not to trust him. Apparently she decided she could, because she said in a sudden rush, "He scares the other children."