Chapter One: Note

Days here at the school were a blur, even for Larry—who was always a scholar. He had trouble keeping up with the basics of crime, the ruthlessness, it was no shock to anyone that Larry had what could be considered a heart, he was soft-spoken, and he stuttered so really it was no one's surprise that he couldn't strangle a mouse. He could write a 3-page paper on how to do so though, saving his grade from a C- to a B+. Larry had always been an honorary student in crime academics, he could easily and effectively get away with schemes and plans (such as robbery). However, the honorary student in physical crime itself was none other than Mary. The student who could easily and effectively get away with murder, clean up tracks, and completely erase evidence.

Mary.

Mary was one of a kind, cruel and damn good at being practically heartless. But to Larry, Mary seemed different than the others, or maybe it was because she just didn't care when he came out as a boy. In fact, she raised an eyebrow, and for a few heartbeats Larry was afraid she was gonna lash out at him. Go and tell him how stupid and delusional he was for thinking he was a "he" when he was clearly a "she" (he'd heard it so many times from his teachers unfortunately). Instead, she just shrugged, turned back to her work and told him to scram. (She was working on something in the lab that Larry could not make out.) And, Larry couldn't believe his luck, not only had Mary been accepting (as accepting as she could get) but so had the headmaster, granting him a new uniform and changing the data in his forms. It was strangely comforting to say the last, knowing that Mary would still see and treat him as an underling, regardless of his gender.

The first thing Larry noticed was people coming up to him. Now—Larry had never been a people person and people suddenly approaching him and questioning him made him extremely nervous and a bit uncomfortable. Some were accepting, others just confused and some were not as accepting—and others just...treated him differently. He didn't like the newfound attention, considering it all felt fake, he didn't want to be the "trans guy" of the classroom, he just wanted to be a guy. He did have constant support from the higher ups and any misgendering or transphobic behavior directed towards him was reported and solved by the headmaster himself. It was actually kinda creepy, how the guy actually did have eyes and ears everywhere. Larry was incredibly thankful for him, as there was no way he could deal with the constant stares and whispering himself. Larry sort of considered Mary a friend, but he had none who he felt liked him. Nonetheless, he'd done his best to appear stronger, working on his stuttering and getting to know people he hadn't known before. But those people weren't Mary, it just wasn't the same. To fill the void he'd tread down to her work room, and peek his head in, either saying "good morning" or "goodnight". He liked letting Mary know he cared about her, regardless of the fact that she never seemed to enjoy it nor respond to it.

He was pretty sure Mary would kill and discard of him if she really had the chance too.

So, why was he so in love with her?

When he told her the first time, it actually shocked Mary, it was completely unexpected. And, admittedly—it took her a few seconds to process it, she wasn't mad about it, she didn't have a reason to be, just a bit shocked. She'd only forced herself to speak when she noticed the panicked look on Larry's face. It wasn't some speech of acceptance, just Mary letting Larry know that she didn't mind it. Mary didn't care for gender or sexual orientation, what she cared for was obeying the headmaster and passing her classes. Regardless, she could help but turn her head and smile at his sigh of relief.

Mary had never wanted to hurt him without good reason, even though she did lash out at him for being extremely pathetic sometimes—like when he couldn't kill a rat and accidentally let it loose. Both of them got detention (moving heavy logs, doing extra homework and actually watching paint dry and calculating said time) and Mary had to be held back as she screamed at him.( It was definitely one of the most terrifying moments Larry had ever witnessed in his entire life, he was very sure of it.) Larry was weak and before transitioning, always followed Mary around like a dog whenever he could, normally Mary had him carry stuff for her. Mary was strong herself of course but having someone willingly do it for her just made her feel a sense of accomplishment and pride.