A Black Suit

Until evening, the Town of Impville became victims of the last war that would ever be fought on their soil in that century.

Colonel Marquez Agaria was determined to strike while the enemy was weak. He knew that Henry and Torres had already shared the information about the ambush that he had originally planned, and he was sure that the Reds would strike first. But he wouldn't let them.

He wanted to win.

The gunshots and explosions deafened the ears of every citizen. Lydia Thorne wrapped a blanket around her and Thomas as they crouched in one corner of the room, under a table. The windows of the military office had blasted open from the impact of machine guns, and the walls shook whenever a grenade was triggered.

Lydia's heart was beating erratically as she believed that the military office would explode into flames at any time. She regretted having convinced the Colonel to take them along on his expeditions.

The sun had set, and Colonel Marquez Agaria passed a bill stating that Impville would never be under any sort of ambush until the war ended. He had captured enough Red soldiers and generals to threaten the opposition. Hence, he returned triumphantly to the military office.

Colonel Marquez Agaria had purposefully trapped Lydia and Thomas in that room to keep them safe and his plan worked well as most of the houses and apartments were left in ashes by the end of the day. He was as austere as ever when he opened the room with the key. The Colonel found both mother and son asleep under the bed. He concluded that they must have been exhausted and troubled due to the chaos.

Lydia restrained from speaking anything or questioning the Colonel at all the following morning. Thomas was busy reading the book and underlining the sentences while on his father's couch. The Colonel had given the young woman the task of dusting all books and antiques on the bookshelf, and she was quietly obeying him.

"The suit you asked for, Colonel," Felix entered after a bunch of cheerful knocks on the door. The black suit that was wrapped in plastic looked like the most expensive piece of clothing that Lydia had ever seen.

"And the car?"

"It will arrive by 6.30. Bulletproof windows and everything. I'll triple-check myself," Felix assured him.

"Good. And get me a vest. Can't be too careful."

"Yes, sir." Felix smiled and saluted before leaving.

Lydia wanted to know what was going to happen. She felt intrigued, but her pride wouldn't allow her to speak first. Neither did the Colonel bother to explain his plans for the evening.

When the clock struck 6, the Colonel asked her to come into his room. She did, and froze upon finding the old man looking handsome in only his suit pants and belt. It was her first time seeing him in anything other than military clothes.

"Bring my vest and shirt." He ordered while lighting a cigarette as he stood in front of a long mirror.

Lydia handed him the bulletproof vest first and then helped him with the white shirt. "There's a ball in the evening that will begin at 7," he told her while she slowly buttoned him.

"What is it for?" She whispered, unable to halt her curiosity, and glanced up at him from under her soft lashes.

"It's a celebration of yesterday's win. A month or two, and we'll eradicate the Reds."

"Why can't the Reds and Blacks live in harmony, Colonel?"

Lydia asked while inserting his shirt properly into the suit pants. He quietly stared at her, causing her to look up into his cold steel eyes.

"War is easier than love, that's why. Polish my shoes," he pointed at the brush. Lydia sat at his feet and began polishing each shoe, while the Colonnel continued smoking.

"These events are such a chore," he sighed.

"Why's that?" His mistress asked without looking up.

"People, Lydia, you have to meet many bloody people. Most of them are cowards who laze away at homes with their wives and children, but in war, you meet men who have given up all comforts for the sake of freedom."

"For the sake of pride, Colonel, not freedom." Lydia corrected him, looking into his eyes bravely now. He glanced at her without much of a reply.

Lydia got up after she was done and helped him with his coat. The Colonel looked dashing, she thought. In her dreams, she had imagined him wearing these same clothes only during their wedding.

"Will the women want to dance with me? What do you say?" The Colonel mocked the girl, a smile on his lips as he looked at himself in the mirror.

"I would." She blushed while squeezing her right elbow.

Colonel Marquez Agariadidn't abandon his smile as he walked over to where she was standing. He pressed a tender kiss on her lips before leaving through the door. It left her wanting for more.