Chap 20 - Villain's plan failed: This was supposed to be funny, wasn't it?

(Ester's POV)

Outside the sect's boundaries, I waited for Pedro. I explained to him that I can't give Ryujin Swrod to him in the Blue Lotus sect.

I said that if someone sees us with the sword, they will call Alexia, and even if Pedro uses the sword, it's impossible to win against her.

That is not entirely false; I'd be in deep waters if that blade were genuine. But, and it's a big 'but.' The sword is as authentic as a three-dollar bill. Heh.

You'd think Pedro would smell something fishy. Maybe ponder, "How did Ester get the legendary sword so swiftly?" or "Isn't Ryujin's sword supposed to be under Fort Knox-level security?" And, more importantly, "Doesn't she just sweep floors and do laundry? How'd she manage this heist?"

But, nope. He didn't spare a second thought. Bless his egotistic soul. He probably thinks the universe itself aligned the stars just for him. What a delightful dunce.

This will be wickedly entertaining.

Pedro's oversight might be the ticket to some devilishly good times.

Pedro appeared punctual as ever, exuding his usual air of confidence.

"Ester, do you have the sword?"

I flashed him a sly grin. With a flourish, I smoothly swiped the folds of my robe aside to reveal a sliver of the sword's hilt, ensuring he couldn't glimpse the entirety of it. Just enough to whet his appetite.

"Excellent! With this, Ryujin won't stand a chance against me."

"Of course, you'll surely triumph..."

Inside, I was nearly doubling over with amusement. Pedro might as well have had "gullible" stamped all over his forehead.

"Let's move to a quieter spot."

Guiding him further out, we ventured toward the peripheries of the sect.

Several quaint villages lay in the vast expanse outside the sects. Home to those unable to harness the power of mana, these settlements were the refuge of the so-called "ordinary." In the world of mana-wielders and sects, these souls were often overlooked and deemed unfit to join the ranks of the mighty sects due to their lack of magical prowess. Instead, they found solace amongst their kin, building tight-knit communities where life thrived, unaffected by the whims of mana. Theirs was a world of camaraderie, simplicity, and mutual respect — a stark contrast to the power plays and machinations of the sects.

◆◆

We found ourselves in front of an ancient-looking cottage. Its walls were built from weathered stone, giving it an age-old charm. Moss carpeted the roof, intertwining with wild ivy that crept up the sides. A faint aroma of dried herbs wafted through the air, suggesting it might once have been the dwelling of a village healer.

His eagerness palpable, Pedro said, "Now, may I fully inspect the sword?"

I smirked, "Why the wait? Here." With deliberate slowness, I unsheathed the sword, allowing the blade to glint tantalizingly under the ambient light before I handed it over to him.

Grasping it, he marveled, "This energy... Ryujin won't stand a chance against me wielding this."

"Yes, fufufu..." I couldn't contain my glee.

"What's so funny?" He looked up sharply, puzzled.

"Just imagine Ryujin's face when you look at him with this beauty."

Internally, I scolded myself for my slip-up. But honestly, it was hard not to boast in front of someone so blissfully unaware. I mean, strategic thinking isn't exactly his forte. Fufufu.

Suddenly, a loud crash echoed outside the rustic house, shaking its foundation.

"What was that?" Pedro exclaimed, eyes darting around in alarm.

"I am the Famine General. Hand over the weapon and no one gets hurt."

Emerging from the shadows was a man of enormous stature. His muscular arms looked like they could crush boulders, and his tall, broad frame was so intimidating it practically blocked out the sun. His eyes, cold and calculating, scanned the vicinity, making even the bravest souls quiver in fear.

Pedro, perhaps encouraged by the sword in his grasp, squared his shoulders, declaring, "With this sword, I will fend you off!"

Hold on a minute... This wasn't what I had envisioned! If Pedro charges headfirst into this, we're both toast!