Chapter 1 - The Alley

A torrential downpour of water washed down from the skies over the streets and structures of Khepri City.

Drainage systems, all state of the art and operating at more or less full efficiency, lacked enough infrastructure to fully stem the sheer volume of liquid. The excess rain washed downwards, along uneven terrain, and flooded the lower parts of any residential spaces. Forcing those who lived there to seek refuge at higher ground, in a process that had become frequent enough that it mimicked a well rehearsed chorography. Groups gathering at the first signs of rain, drawing together their most practical belongings, and ascending the steep streets with relative calmness. There was almost a mundanity to their desperate survival. Where most of the city's poorer folks got their sleep by the sides of roads, instead of in their own waterlogged homes.

This was still a more desirable life than that of being outside the city's walls. A series of towering bulwarks, significantly taller than everything other than the most eccentric buildings, that formed a definitive perimeter of the bustling location. Khepri's afforded area was generous, expansive, but limited nonetheless. As just beyond this defensive first and final line of defense was the scorched surface of the rest of the planet. Neither flora nor fauna, no food and extremely little water, even harsher weather and without any cover...Desertification had taken all the known landmass of Earth. Leaving Khepri with the not too insignificant role of preserving the last of humanity. A manmade oasis that served as the final legacy from its founders, whom most of which had passed either in its construction or in the passing of time. Those who are left inheriting the prestigious positions offered by the city's corporations.

Naturally, even with the collapse of civilization, a new society - never all too dissimilar from the last - will form from its rickety foundations. Whether it was the last chance for humanity or not, Khepri would find itself subjected to the usual pros and cons of city life all the same. That is to say, whilst some ran from their flooded homes down below, others still lived peacefully indulgently, above. Many people lived for what few thrills they could get, here after the end of the world, whilst others strained themselves with the hopes of climbing the corporate ladder. Those who could started families, keeping their lineage alive for however long Khepri remained standing, whilst others sacrificed their future generations in the pursuit of bettering whatever was left. For better or for worse, individuality remained as true as ever. All still had their own dreams, their own morals, their own priorities that shaped them; whether that be to the benefit of Earth's last society, or only a perceived benefit to the individual themself.

Alongside the myriad of chattering people rising from those lower locations, and the whipping wind that carried the innumerable drops of water to the ground, was the constant sounds of the city. Still alive, in spite of the night and the weather. Neon lights lit the areas of the city well enough that there was no need for street lamps. Glowing vibrantly from the exteriors of just about every building, big or small, as they displayed their messages and advertisements. A weather report that redundantly warned of heavy rain, a 'once in a lifetime deal' for renting out a car for a whole year, and several smaller advertisements that more miscellaneously showed off movie covers, video game snippets, and other forms of entertainment. Few people paid any attention to any of them, though. Regardless of the constant sounds and stimulation that came from every angle, trying to grasp the attention of those who had mostly become numb to it. Instead, most of the people - as mentioned - were seeking higher ground. With the few who weren't either members of authority - holding the peace during a turbulent influx of unfamiliar bodies - or the few wealthier members just passing through, and stopping to admire their own reflections in oil slicked pools of stagnant rain water.

Sebastian only half fit one of these descriptions. Making his way along the street with a dutiful gait, as he acknowledged the weather only with his well worn navy parka. Stepping through the gaps between the people who were headed towards him, on his journey further towards where they were all leaving. Pacing on down the concrete of the path ahead, until he stood at the entrance to a deep alleyway. One of the few places that the overbearing technicolor lights struggled to penetrate, thanks to the narrowly spaced walls on either side from towering, well built up structures. It was perhaps this darkness, or the oncoming realization that he was to step into it, that had his attention drawn to the bright lights of an advertisement like any other. Digitally projected across the wall, with all four corners of its rectangular shape marked by the hardware that created the almost ethereally weak, holographic image. A voice, which a few hundred years ago would be mistaken for the divine, spoke out from the display with what was now a mundane, poorly digitalized quality. Boasting the same canned enthusiasm that had been out of style for an age, which was a fitting accompaniment to the cheap, eye bleeding design of this particular advertisement.