7. What have I done?

David's Pov

Returning to Daisy's residence after my heated altercation with Rue last night, I couldn't shake off the weight of regret that settled heavily on my shoulders. In the heat of the moment, I had allowed my emotions to get the best of me, lashing out and saying hurtful things to Daisy that I now deeply regretted.

Despite our recent conflicts and misunderstandings, my love for Daisy remained unwavering. She had been the source of immense happiness in my life, filling my days with joy and my heart with warmth.

I cherished every moment we had shared together, and the memories of our love continued to linger in my thoughts, reminding me of the deep bond we had once shared.

As I stood outside Daisy's residence, grappling with feelings of remorse and longing, I knew that I needed to find a way to make amends and repair the damage I had caused.

Two years into his relationship with Rue, an argument sparked a chain of events that would change everything. Seeking solace and distraction, I found himself at a bar where Daisy's friend worked. Little did I know that Daisy herself would come to the bar that day, inadvertently crossing paths with her in the midst of my emotional turmoil.

I remember telling Daisy my story as she listened to me. As the night wore on and alcohol clouded my judgment, Daisy, in her kindness, offered to take me home. It was a moment of vulnerability and weakness, and before I knew it, we had succumbed to the heat of the moment and shared a night together.

I don't even remember about that night.

Daisy's revelation about our night together left me wrestling with guilt in solitude for an entire week. Keeping the secret weighed heavily on me as I grappled with feelings of remorse throughout that time.

Unfortunately, tensions escalated between Daisy and Rue when Daisy confessed her pregnancy one day. I vividly recall the heart-wrenching look in Rue's eyes during their heated exchange. It was a dark reminder of the consequences of my actions and the pain I had caused.

The events of that day shattered everything, yet amidst the chaos, there was a glimmer of new life as I realized I would soon become a father. However, this joyous revelation was met with a complex web of familial expectations and societal pressures.

Daisy's parents urged me to take responsibility for the situation by marrying her, a proposition my own parents found acceptable, although for different reasons.

Concerned about their reputation within the church community, my parents were eager to avoid any tarnish on their standing, prioritizing appearances over the emotional complexities of our relationships.

Despite Rue and I having been together for two years, they were insistent on orchestrating a narrative where it appeared we had already broken up.

Their urgency to expedite the wedding before Daisy's pregnancy became visible underscored their emphasis on maintaining a facade of respectability. They even made sure that Rue would be at the wedding for it to look as though the two sisters had no bad blood.

Not wanting to go against my parents considering they held the power to stop me from going to college, I did, ending my relationship with Rue. It was a heartbreaking thing, but it needed to be done.

Hopefully in the future, Rue would forgive me for my actions and not condemn me for the rest of my life. Anyone could've been in the situation that I was. To me Rue, was sweet, a little immature but sweet. I opened the door to her front door for my wife Daisy only receiving a flash of her hair. 

I remember Rue would've smiled to the ends of the earth even two years after we had met just by the small action of me opening a door for her. It was clear Daisy and I needed to do some further bonding. 

Upon entering the house, I noticed how untidy everything was clothing's all around, foul odor, multiple liquor bottles on the table, cigarette on the table. Overall, the place was completely dirty compared to last night when I had left it, it was the first time I had seen their place so untidy.

Recollections of Rue's past grievances about always being the one to clean after them flooded my thoughts, eliciting a sense of discomfort at the stark reality of how they treated Rue.

"David! You two didn't mention you were stopping by today. I assumed you'd be off on your honeymoon by now," Daisy's mother exclaimed, rising from her seat to welcome us.

Daisy spoke up, her smile brightening the room as she explained, "We should have, but David wanted to stop by to ensure that Rue was okay."

Daisy's mother, with a certain look on her face, replied, "Silly, you could've just called on the phone. Of course, everything is alright." Her words carried a subtle undertone, hinting at a deeper understanding or perhaps a hidden concern.

"Great, I actually wanted to speak with her," I interjected, eager to extend my apologies for yesterday's outburst and ensure that our relationship remained intact. "Rue!" I called out, hoping to catch her attention.

"Ah, she's actually out running errands at Fangs grocery store. She might not be back for a while," Rue's mother informed me, offering a sheepish smile.

"But the Fangs' grocery store doesn't open on a Tuesday. They're usually out of town on Tuesdays," I interjected, recalling Rue's frequent reminders.

"Oh, silly me," she chuckled nervously, "I mean, she's gone to the dollar store, so she won't be back for a while," she attempted to deflect once again, though her tone betrayed a hint of unease.

Her demeanor, however, betrayed an attempt to conceal something beneath a sheepish smile, fidgeting fingers, and a seemingly normal but nervously presented face. It was evident that there was more to the situation than met the eye.

Recalling the unsettling incident involving Rue's stepfather, whom she referred to as Mr. Cocaine head, and his threatening behavior the previous night, a surge of concern prompted me to take action.

Fearing for Rue's safety, I decided to search for her myself, apprehensive that she might be hurt. As I hurried in the direction of her room, her mother called out to me, but I paid little attention to her shouts, my sole focus on ensuring Rue's well-being.

Upon entering the room, my heart sank as Rue was nowhere to be found, causing my eyes to widen in alarm. Frantically, I searched every corner, but there was no sign of her. With a growing sense of unease, I hurried back to the living room, desperate to find out where Rue had gone.

"Where the hell is Rue?" I demanded, my voice tinged with anger and worry.

"I-I told you, she's gone to the dollar store," she insisted, her response wavering slightly under the intensity of my questioning.

"Why are you concerned about her when we should be on our honeymoon?" Daisy questioned; her tone laced with annoyance.

"Don't you see your own sister is missing?" I pressed, incredulous at her apparent indifference.

"And why should I care?" she retorted coldly, her response sending a chill down my spine. I was taken aback by Daisy's disinterest towards her own sister, realizing then the extent of the strained relationship between the sisters.

"I-I did not say she was missing," the woman continued to lie, her voice trembling slightly.

Just then, Peter entered the room, seemingly roused by the commotion. As he took in the messy surroundings, it was evident that he too was in disarray, reeking of alcohol.

"That damn girl still hasn't returned yet as of last night? Now who's going to clean this damn place up?" he grumbled, his words sending a shock through me.

What have I done?!

**************************

Remember to leave a vote and comment down below! ❤