Chapter 6

The morning light shined through the broken windows. I groaned and covered my head with my hand. One thing I hate about myself is that no matter how late I sleep, the sun always wakes me up as soon as light falls on me. 

Thanks a lot, dad.

I woke up groggy and went to the bathroom. My reflection on the broken mirror looked worse than I felt. The shower water was cold as ice, which is just ugh. I came out of the bathroom, feeling just as tired as when I entered.

Before you ask, I am not a morning person.

Grimm was still sleeping soundly on the pillow I'd kept for him. A quick tip: If a headmaster offers you to stay in an abandoned mansion that is haunted by ghosts, check if the mattresses can stay on the bedframe first. Thankfully there was no damage, other than the bed frame. I'd cleaned more than 1 bedroom, so we collapsed when we found a frame was steady enough to hold our weight.

I changed into the clothes Crowley had lent. The big box he brought had clothes, toiletries, some snacks, and skincare items. I knew definitely for a fact that Crowley did not put them together. A letter signed by a person named Crewel informed me how to use the skincare items and a routine too.

I entered the bedroom and stopped in my tracks. The ghost trio was currently tickling Grimm with a feather.

"Wakey wakey, Great Grimm", they said in a low singsong voice.

"Mmmmm... Nngh... Five more minutes, Ma...", Grimm mumbled.

"Go ahead then, sleep the day away. And you might not ever have to wake up again. Just like us!" They cackled loudly, waking Grimm with a start.

"Myah?! The ghosts are back!", Grimm screeched and ran towards me. I just stared at them in their ghostly eyes.

"You guys are gonna keep coming back again and again, right?", I asked. "Yep!", they grinned. "Hope you like pranks as much as we do, roomies! Ha ha ha!"

"What?", Grimm's voice was so loud, I briefly considered throwing him out the window. 

"You must have had a lovely dream", I grabbed him by the collar and yawned. "Come on...Let's go eat something."

When we entered the lounge, Crowley was waiting, with some hot steaming breakfast. Doesn't this man have a tiny bit of sense that something called privacy and security existed?

 "Good morning, Miss Willow. Did you sleep well?"

I ignored his question completely and pulled the plate of breakfast towards me. "No! The mattress fell right through the frame when we tried to sleep. Exactly how ramshackle is this dorm?", Grimm grumbled.

I sipped some tomato soup. Ramshackle...That was a fitting name for this place. The attic in the Big House wasn't even half as dusty as this place.

"Let us discuss your assignment for today", Crowley smiled happily, ready to unload the numerous tasks that I had to complete for a day. I swiped the plastic fork and held it close to his neck. He blinked twice, stunned.

"Food first", I grumbled. "Work second."

He swallowed, eying the three-pronged utensil. "Very...well then..."

I happily ate my breakfast after that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Come on, human", Grimm chides me from a few feet away. "I thought you were really fast."

I glared at him. "I would, if somebody just took a few stuff from my hands. You know how heavy they are?"