🏈22🏈

Kayla's POV:

The next day, I make it to school just as the warning bell rings. I walk to my locker calmly, no rush at all – I plan to get to class at least three minutes late.

Waiting by my locker are Steph and Quinn.

"Hey Kay", Steph leans forward to hug me, burying my face in her red hair. She pulls away from me and studies my face. "How have you been?"

How have I been? Good question.

My first instinct of course is to laugh it off, pretend like I don't know what she is talking about. But I remember our conversation last night when both of them came to my house. I remember how I cried about Aaron, how heartbroken I felt and how my gift of art seemed to have deserted me. I remember them hugging me as we ordered pizzas and watched a movie, trying to cheer me up.

Last night was the first time I had ever been open with anyone, and I decided then that maybe talking about my feelings wouldn't be so bad.

"I'm working through it", I tell Steph who has been watching me expectantly.

She nods with a smile. "We're here for you", she says. "And if you want revenge on Aaron, just say the word. I know just how to handle it"

"Are you going to fake date someone to get Aaron jealous?", Quinn asks, her eyes wide.

Steph rolls her eyes. "No Quinn. We handle it the good old fashion way. I'll open Lion's cage and set him on Aaron."

"Lion", Quinn asks, her eyes looking a bit frightened.

"That's Steph's pet snake.", I inform her.

Quinn looks like she is about to faint when Aaron's friend – what's his name now – walks over towards us.

"Quinn", he says from a distance, "may I kindly remind you that you ought to be attending your scheduled class presently, and I have previously instructed you to refrain from associating with those girls."

Quinn rolls her eyes and mutters 'overprotective', before she walks down the hall, past him and towards her next class. Aaron's friend (Quinn's brother) glares at us, then walks away.

"Sometimes I forget that they are twins.", Steph says. "Quinn is literally so chill but Keon acts like he has a stick up his 'posterior'", she mimics a British accent.

"Mhmm", I say absently. Seeing Keon reminds me of Aaron.

"Well, I've got to be off for class right now", Steph says. "Are you going to be okay?"

I give the best smile I can muster. "Of course I will."

She hugs me again, and I watch her as she walks off.

The final bell rings just at that moment, but I don't move. I am not ready to face class yet, especially not Calculus with Mr Kabab.

I wait for a few more minutes, enjoying the quiet in the hallways, waiting for the artistic inspiration that would usually have gripped me by now.

Nothing.

I sigh as I finally move off to my calculus class. I hesitate outside the door for a moment as I hear Mr Kebab's loud voice teaching something in the class.

Then I push open the door and step inside.

Mr Kebab is standing in front of the board, but he stops teaching the instant he sees me.

"Glad you finally decided to join us Miss Barnes", he says in a voice that does not sound glad at all.

I give him a cocky smile. "Glad that you are happy to see me."