9- REYNA

Its a devil's deal.

I feel like I'm seconds away from dousing myself in gasoline and burning myself. Stifling that impulse I reach for the handle and open the meeting room door.

Two days back I agreed to marry Maverick for the sake of his company, in lieu of his help in finding my dad. Now the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that this is the stupidest decision I have ever made.

Despite the massive size of the room, it starts closing in on me as soon as I enter it.

Maverick is sitting at the head of the table in his signature black suit. He cocks his head, inspecting me as though  he's never seen me before.

I take a seat next to him.

"Try to look happy, Dahan. You're getting engaged in few weeks." A smile flickers and fades across his face.

I abandon looking at him. "Honestly, sir, I don't think I am very fond of my fiance."

"Such passion," he chuckles. "You have to stop calling me sir, you know."

"Sure sir." I emphasize.

The tension in the entire room is so intense, its nearly palpable and I think my lungs are beginning to freeze.

There is a sudden apprehension in his features. As if he is scared that I might back out of our agreement. And then its gone.

His eyes focuses back on me looking interested and troubled at once. He slides a file in my direction and I flinch from how close his hands are from my arm.

And to think that I have to spend years with this man, pretending to be his wife...

"The written agreement you asked for," he answers, reading the question in my eyes.

And then he simply stares at me. Letting my doubts about him, marinatein the air around us.

Nothing moves.

After what seems like an eternity he says, "And you are moving in tomorrow, right?"

"What!" My voice warbles when I speak.

Maverick's jaws tenses and he levels his gaze at me. "We talked about this. Saturday- you were moving in."

The nausea hits me and I am suddenly sweating and freezing at the same time.

Tomorrow.

Saturday is tomorrow.

"Yes. Yes." I try to find my composure.

There is a loud noise of the door opening and getting thrashed in the side wall.

I jump out of my skin and even Maverick flinches.

Dave enters and glares at me. I could almost feel how much he hates me in this moment.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Dave shouts at Maverick.

I fight my eyes not to widen. Taking that tone with Maverick is a bad idea.

"Hello Dave," Maverick says, quietly.

Dave is so delirious right now that he skips checking his pitch again. "You're getting married to her." The look he throws at me feels like a slap on my face.

"And that bothers you. Why?"

Dave laughs. "This is insane. You're insane." He turns towards me. "What is it? Are you pregnant and blackmailing him?"

"Keep your anger in check, Dave." I warn him and get up.

Dave stands right in front of me as I start at the door. "You're not going anywhere. Not unless I get the details of whatever this is," he throws his hands around. "And figure out how you trapped him for..."