New Arrivals

Damian Wayne, also known as the Wayne heir by his peers, navigated the halls of Gotham Academy with an air of indifference. Being the son of the wealthiest man in America came with its own set of challenges, one being the expectations placed upon him by his family and his classmates. Damian was used to the attention, the whispers, and the constant scrutiny of his every move. It was something he had grown to tolerate but not necessarily embrace.

It was similar to his time in the League, although he wouldn't receive the same blatant stares. The assassins were trained to lower their gazes in the presence of an Al Ghul family member. However, there were still whispers. He had heard them all, "the heir finished his training," "The heir is developing faster than any normal child," "The heir has finished his mission," and "The heir doesn't show weakness."

It gives him headaches to this day. He's always been the heir of someone.

Shaking the thought out of his head, he made his way to his next class. Damian noticed a subtle shift in the atmosphere as he navigated the halls of Gotham Academy, piquing his curiosity about what had captured the attention of his fellow students. His mind wandered, contemplating the usual news and happenings of the school that would typically reach his ears. However, he couldn't help but wonder what he had missed this time, as it was rare for anything to disrupt the monotony of Gotham Academy. His curiosity deepened, urging him to investigate further. What had he not known? It wasn't usually for news of the school to bypass him, even with the amount of disinterest he had in it.

As he approached the main entrance, seeing where the students were vastly crowded, Damian's gaze fell upon a girl standing at the center of attention. She stood out amongst the sea of uniformed students, a rebel in a sea of conformity. Not only was her height above average for that age she seemed to be part of but how she held herself piqued Damian's interest. His vigilante mind was already forming impressions and assumptions. One thing the league taught that had stuck is not to underestimate those who seem weaker.

The girl did not seem to follow the regulations or know about the presence of uniforms. It felt like she belonged to the place as someone with high power and influence with her striking presence, her jet-black hair accentuating her unconventional beauty, she did not carry herself as many students at the school did, a feeling of overconfidence and spoiled.

As she walked through the halls, her head held high and eyes scanning the surroundings with curiosity and skepticism, Damian observed her from a distance. He noticed how she seemed detached from the cliques and groups that dominated Gotham Academy, preferring her company to the superficiality that permeated the school. It was a trait he could relate to, having often found solace in his thoughts rather than engaging in mindless small talk.

Knowing the psychology of humans as social animals, conformity was a norm. Not conforming was odd. Sticking out was not desired, yet she did not bother hiding. He had justifications for being raised the way he was, so why was this girl from a normal family not conforming to the norm?

Damian had discovered from teachers that the girl's name was Seraphina Jackson, who insisted on being called Nina. He had heard snippets of conversations about her, rumors whispered in hushed tones. Some claimed she was rebellious, defying the school's rules and challenging authority. Others spoke of her previous school, speculating where she had come from. Others gossiped about her family life. They talked about her sharp wit and sarcastic tongue, making even the most confident students cower under her verbal prowess.

These rumors were proven to Damian once he had seen her butchering the original uniform style. The top buttons of her shirt were left undone, and her tie was loosely knotted. Instead of the customary black dress shoes, she confidently sported black boots, balancing the line between rebellion and compliance. It was clear to Damian that Nina possessed a unique spirit, unafraid to challenge conventions within the confines of the uniform. This was further expressed when she was constantly called into the principal's office in the short time she was there, the students speculating and mocking her origins.