#1: In Which It's a Usual Tuesday

Everyone has a soulmate, so maybe that's why you always felt uneasy with your life.

Everyone had some way of knowing their soulmate, whether it be a red string, a timer in their wrist, the first words, same birthmark or even the same pain. Except you.

You never had words, or a string, or a timer, and you were decently sure it wasn't pain because you hurt yourself on accident all the time, but never felt anything in return. So you had always assumed you just never were destined for anyone.

So what did you do? What was there to do? Go on a huge quest like the hero of a story? Find a genie and beg for a soulmate? Conquer the realm of God and demand he rewrite your fate?

Wait- right, you were a fucking 17 year old anemic girl who was failing most her classes, what the fuck could you ever do?

Tapping your pencil against your desk, you listened to your music, ignoring the teachers lecture. You're doodling a crude rendition of the album cover, your worksheet otherwise blank.

Feeling something poke your shoulder, you look over to your seat partner jabbing a pencil at you. Right. Lloyd Garmadon. You rolled your eyes, pulling your earbud out of one ear. "What do you want?"

He looked at you as if his whole brain had just been erased out of his head. Before he eventually stuttered, "Your.. your uh, your music is too loud, I can hear it. I- I didn't want you to get in trouble or anything."

Squinting, you glance around the room and back at him. "..Okay? I honestly couldn't care less. Leave me alone.. freak." Maybe you didn't need to add that last word.. but he never got the hint.

You had only 'met' Lloyd that quarter, after you had been put into the problematic kids class. He was a junior as well, but you had heard a rumor he had skipped a grade, though you thought he was the same age as you. You tried your best to ignore him, but he never could tell you didn't want him talking to you. He was as blunt as a sanded butter knife, which was shocking based on who his dad was. But.. you couldn't lie about the fact he was kind of attractive.

The bell finally rang, announcing the end of the day. Finally.

With a groan, you sat up and began packing up your papers, when you heard someone clearing their throat.

"Miss Peterson? What are you doing? I don't believe that I said the lesson was over. The bell doesn't dismiss you, I do." The teacher (who you couldn't remember the name of) accused, taunting you, as if he was preparing to fight you.

You glanced around the room, waiting for anybody else to say something, but nobody spoke up. With a sigh, you slumped back into your chair and balled up your paper. But the teacher continued to stare at you. You glanced up at him, raising your brows. "Do you need my permission to continue? Please do, it would be appreciated, so I can leave as soon as possible, thank you." Since when had you spoken to someone like that? It felt.. freeing. But your school lunch began curdling in your stomach, you'd definitely be in trouble.