Chapter 27

That afternoon, Hunter didn't come to school.

I texted him when I got to class. He replied an hour later with a brief: Stuff at home. I'll see you later today.

The hole in the pit of my stomach refused to fill up no matter how many snacks I gobbled up. After what happened to the shelter, and then Sam, all I wanted was to curl up next to Hunter, or to hit the crap out of a punching bag.

When school ended, I found myself with Lia, Jason, Scott and Stefan next to Lia's car. Students moved around us. Their chit chat and laughter were so normal, it made the turmoil brewing inside my mind even more disturbing.

"And then there were five," Lia said, looking around our group.

"We were always five," Stefan said.

"No, at one point we were seven," Scott said, "with Hunter and Liza."

Lia jabbed her elbow into Scott's side. He made a face. "What?"

She made a none too discreet nod towards Jason, who rolled his eyes. "I'm not going to break into tears just because you mention her name, for God's sake," Jason said. "We broke up. No big deal. I don't want anything to do with her anymore. Good riddance-"

"Uh Jason," Stefan said, looking uncharacteristically uncomfortable. I followed his gaze behind us, right as Liza walked past, her head lowered. Jason froze, then crossed his arms over his chest and scowled at the ground. Great. Just great.

Judging by Liza's reaction, she must've heard him.

"This day just couldn't get any worse," I said, rubbing my forehead. "Let's just go home. Can't wait for this day to end."

"Come on, I'll drop you off," Lia said, giving me her car keys.

Jason went to his car. My brothers went to theirs. Lia got in the passenger seat. I glanced around the parking lot one last time, but my boyfriend was nowhere in sight. I sighed and got into the driver seat.

I'd texted him when I finished my last class. He still hadn't answered. I'd just call him when I got to the gym.

As the car drew near the gym, my spirits lifted. Hunter's car was there.

"That's Hunter's car, right?" Lia asked.

"Yep." I unclasped my seat belt and grabbed my backpack from the backseat.

"Oh, I see how it is. You abandon your best friend at the first sight of your boyfriend." She put her hand over her chest and sniffed. "This world is cruel to single people."

I snickered and opened the door. "Hunter's face is much more pleasant to look at, so..."

She gasped and reached for me. But I was already out of the door and jogging to the gym. Lia stepped out of the car. I glanced back to see her shaking her tiny fist. "Sapphire Milton! You'll pay for that later!"

"Looking forward to it!"

I heard her tinkling laughter, then the engine groaning as she sped away. The gym was busy for a Monday evening. Emma was furiously typing away behind her desk, her eyes focused on the computer screen. I stopped by.

"Hey," I said, glancing around the gym. Where was that boyfriend of mine? Oh, there he was. He was speaking with Steve and someone else... I squinted. The man had his back to me, but he looked vaguely familiar.

"Hey, Sapph. Finally gracing us with your presence?" Emma said without looking up from her screen.

"Yeah," I said. "How are you? And how is Brandon?"