Part 1

Feyre was pregnant. With all of the stories about how hard it was for Fae to conceive, she wasn't sure what to make of it. It had only been a year since the events Under the Mountain when she found out, but nevertheless. Alis told her what she feared to be true. She was pregnant.

As if things weren't already bad, she didn't know who the father was.

Of course, the logical thing would have been to tell Tamlin that, to tell him the truth, but she was afraid by how he would react. Even worse than telling Tamlin, was telling Rhysand that the child might be his. There were only a few more months until she was due to give birth, and she supposed that when the time came, everyone would know the truth of her infidelity. Of course, that was only if the child came out looking like Rhysand rather than Tamlin. She hoped that she was wrong, hoped that the child inside of her did not belong to the Lord of the Night Court.

Over the months of her pregnancy, Rhysand had been lenient with their contract, allowing her to stay in the Spring Court for the sake of the child's health. She had been glad at first, but then Rhys had started to show up once a month to check on her, and the child. She knew that Rhysand had no idea that the child was truly his - though at this point, it was mere speculation - but even so, she tried to hide those thoughts from him as much as she could. He knew that she was hiding something from him, but he did not press the matter. He respected her secrets, even if they were about him.

Whenever Rhysand stopped by, Tamlin grew agitated. Rhysand's shadows would surround her, as they often did, but Tamlin would growl and snarl at Rhys until he made his shadows retreat back into him. Feyre had to make do with the situation, though it was hard. She didn't want them fighting, but it seemed inevitable, especially considering that they were both fighting over her.

Lucien seemed fine with the deal, that Rhysand would come once a month while she was pregnant, and he knew to stay well away from both Tamlin and Rhys during these encounters. They both knew that. So, when Rhys first arrived, Lucien made sure to steal Feyre away upstairs so that they didn't have to deal with the screaming match downstairs. Though, from what they heard through the walls, it was mostly Tam doing the screaming.

"Do you think this will get better or worse when the kid comes?" Lucien asked her after a few silent minutes, both of them listening to the screaming. Feyre flinched as she heard something shatter.

"I'm not sure." she knew that if the child was Rhys', things would not get better, only worse. Considering the fact that she only had two weeks left before delivering her baby, she wasn't looking forward to finding out the truth. She rubbed a hand over her stomach as the child kicked from within her, as if alerting to her anxious thoughts. She cooed, her mother's instinct taking over as she looked down at her swelling stomach. Feyre was getting so large that sometimes it was difficult to walk around the manor.

"Hopefully the kid isn't as stubborn as you are, human." Lucien scoffed, though she knew it was a joke. Her eyes narrowed on him for half a moment before she settled to lean back in her chair, ignoring his comments and trying to breathe. Another bout of yelling had ensued downstairs.

That was when she felt something strange, a sharp pain shooting through her entire body. She gripped the table, one hand pressed gently to her stomach and the other trying to hold onto the table before her for balance. Lucien looked at her immediately, worry in his one eye while his metal eye roved over her to find out what was wrong. Through the pain, she could taste his magic on her tongue, making a sweep over her body to see what had caused such a reaction.

A minute later, another shot of pain rocked through her body. She groaned in agony, only to look up and find Lucien's face had gone pale white.

"Get-" she tried to breathe through her words, "Tamlin."

Lucien shot out of the room like an arrow, running down the stairs to alert both Tamlin and Rhysand that the child was coming.

Everything happened so fast then...

Feyre wasn't sure what the others were saying, her own screams too loud for her to hear Tamlin's reassuring words, or even Rhysand's thoughts in her mind, trying to calm her from the inside. His shadows played at the edges of her skin, trying to settle her and extinguish some of the pain, though that did little to help. The faeries delivering her child ordered everyone but the father out of the room. Though Lucien was quick to exit, both Tamlin and Rhysand stayed. That did not settle well with Tamlin.

"I am the child's father. Leave." Feyre saw a flash of his claws, extending from his knuckles just as another shot of pain stretched through her body, a high pitched scream escaping her as she clenched the sides of the bed, her nails digging into the sheets. She wasn't sure what she looked like, but knew that it could not be anything pleasant.

"And what if you aren't?" she heard Rhys say. She didn't have enough energy to actually speak through the pain, but she let all of the energy she had channel into her magic, her own, strange shadows propelling into the air between them to separate the two of them, as they were face to face now. There was a flash in her shadows, like lightning, and both of them looked at her for a fleeting moment before she managed to get out the words.

"Stop." she tried to breathe, tried to let the pain pass through her as the faeries at her feet told her to start pushing now, "Fighting." she finished.

In the end, both Tamlin and Rhysand stayed in the room. Neither of them was happy about it.

She knew that the child had finally arrived when there was a different sort of scream in the room, a child's cry echoing through every bone in her body. Her heart leapt at the sound through all of the pain and her arms extended toward the faerie that held her child. She still did not know whether it was a boy or girl, but from where she was, she could see that the child had midnight dark hair. Her heart sank into her stomach.

The child was Rhysand's.

The faerie gave her the child, now wrapped in a cloth to keep the residue of the birth off of Feyre's skin. The child's eyes were closed, but she knew that they had to be the same violet color that Rhysand's were. Glancing up from her baby, she saw that Tamlin had disappeared. Her breath caught and she felt tears well up in her eyes. He had left her.

Of course, it only made sense that he was upset. Still, she couldn't find it in herself to say a word about it. Rhysand stood at her side, refusing to say anything, as well. They all knew the truth now, and she was sure that by the end of the week, all of the other Courts would know, too. She wanted to curse herself, wanting to curse Rhysand too, but she knew that it was only her fault. She remembered the events of several months ago, when she had conceived the child. Some part of her regretted that decision to sleep with him, though a major part of her did not. Feyre wasn't sure what to feel in that moment. She put her worry to the back of her mind and stared down at her child.

"It's a girl." the faerie at her left said, poised over her child - her daughter - ready to take her to be cleaned and clothed. When Feyre did not say a word, the faerie took her daughter wordlessly from her arms. Feyre watched her leave the room, her eyes only for her daughter, being taken away from her so soon. She could still feel the weight of her in her arms. Feyre didn't have the strength to wipe the tears from her cheeks as she watched the faerie go.

"Feyre..." Rhysand started. She knew what he was going to say, she could taste it on her tongue. His shadows mingled with hers, still flying aloft in the air, a protective circle around her. His shadows and darkness tried to pry at hers, but she shot him a look.

"I need to be alone right now." she murmured, her words not coming out as harsh as she planned them to be. Rhysand nodded and left the room.

Feyre wept.