SEVEN // doris day

"You're far too spoilt, B," Anne's fine-shaped eyebrows raise. She has a thin cigarette dangling gracefully from her slim, elegant fingers.

"Am I?" I gorge on a piece of sinful, delicious chocolate cake. The textures are so rich and sweet. It feels like I've wrapped myself in layers of brown fur. All warm and luxurious.

"Yes, you most certainly are."

I stick my tongue out. Anne is Uncle Walter's sometime companion (mind you, he gets around a lot despite his prudishness)...

The closest thing to a female presence in my life.

Anne pretends to give me a disgruntled expression. Her face is too beautiful to really pull it off. "Aren't you going to share, darling?"

"It's my birthday!"

"You're are possibly the greediest girl I have ever met, B, do you know that?"

I almost choke on the cake slice. Laughter spills out of me in silky, blue waves.

"It will go to your hips."

"I am not fat! Maureen Little, on the other hand!"

"Yes, yes! You have a nice figure for now! Youth at your fingertips, but the question is..."

"Yes," I don't really want to hear the answer.

"How long will it last?" she sighs.

I roll my eyes. Anne is such a pseudo-philosopher. I observe her face for a moment. There's a sadness in her sophisticated, dainty features. She nibbles on her full bottom lip, caught up in a reverie. She has a dreamy temperament. I sometimes wonder how she can put up with a glum realist - Uncle Walter.

"Enjoy it while it lasts," she snaps out of her thoughts.

I plan to.

A/N: Hi loves, please vote/comment/share! thank you! <3 :) So, what do you think of the characters so far? Do you like the girl MC or not? Is the tone of the story too glum? :)