Chapter Five

In the side room, put aside for use by the Gryffindors whilst they are in Winterfell, Vaella sits on the floor with a plate of food, instead of the table, and her animals are all around, eating their own breakfasts or grooming themselves or one another. It's peaceful. Even this far away from home. Because she is surrounded by her beloved friends. Vaella hums to herself as she picks at her own breakfast. The North seem to favour heavy foods, meant to keep people warm. Bread, cheeses and meats. Vaella would prefer something a little softer. Some fruits and nuts or something. She pulls a face at the next bit of meat, of whatever variety it is, and then drops it onto her plate feeling rather sick with the amount she's eaten. The Starks have been very generous, but there is only so much cheese and meat she can eat.

Suddenly, Arya bursts through the door, out of breath but smiling broadly. Vaella raises an eyebrow at her, but she is not at all surprised. She recognised the look on the girl's face when she saw Skriax. It is the same look that Vaella has worn for years around any sort of animal. Any that are new too. She loves finding something new. Though that is few and far between now. That Arya has sought her out, isn't surprising. She was probably just waiting for the moment she could get away. The moment she was dressed probably. Vaella smiles as Arya sits in front of her, looking at her niffler expectantly. Vaella doesn't really have anyone to talk about this stuff with. Godric knows it all already. This is the first new person she has to talk about this stuff to. And she's just as excited about it. The chance to talk about something she loves. Of course, she is excited.

So with Arya listening intently, whilst lavishing attention on the animals around them, Vaella goes through everything she has here, and a few she has back home. Though she knows better than to talk about the giant lizard living under Godric's Hollow. She knows how people feel about dragons and people connected to dragons, like Targaryens. Like the Gryffindors. And whilst there are some that are willing to look past that, such as the Starks, that does not go for everyone. Hardly anyone actually. She knows the stories. She knows how it was after the 'war'. She was only protected because of her father and likely a mix of his quick thinking and his magic. They would have killed her simply because of who her family were. She was a child. She lets out a breath and shakes her head. She doesn't need to be thinking about what happened. It's been a long time. She's dealt with it.

They spend a couple of hours sitting like this. Just the two of them and the menagerie of animals. And it's only Septa Mordane's arrival that stops them. Vaella and Arya both look to the doorway as the door opens and the Septa is standing there in the doorway with a stern look on her face, obviously, it is this woman that Arya has been avoiding and hiding from with Vaella. Vaella smiles as she looks down at the niffler. She was so much like that at Arya's age. Technically, she still is like that. She would shrug off her duties to play with her animals as often as she could get away with.

"You have sewing" Mordane reminds Arya but Arya just stares back at her, waiting for her to break and let her stay here. It's not likely to happen. Vaella knows Septas. Arya seems to sense it too, she takes a deep breath and sits up straighter.

"I would rather stay here with Vaella" Arya admits. "With the animals...." The Septa gives her a look that leaves no room for argument. Arya sighs and turns to Vaella. "Thank you," Arya tells her warmly. Vaella smiles a little as the girl rushes after the Septa. Vaella looks down at the niffler in her lap, scratching at his head to keep him entertained. The room falls into silence. Leaving Vaella with nothing to distract her. She sighs and sets the niffler on the floor so that she can push herself to her feet. The niffler skitters around before finding comfort in his carry crate.

.....

Wrapping furs around her shoulders, Vaella crosses the courtyard towards where Skriax is waiting for her. His talons shift against the cold ground, showing his dislike for the North. He is not an animal suited to the cold. He is suited for their home. Well, if she is honest, he is suited for Valyria. But that's not going to be happening. Godric's Hollow is the next best thing. Their home. Soon. They will be able to return home soon. Skriax closes the distance between them, glad for a familiar face. Blacktalon circles above, clearly more uncomfortable about being down on the ground. Vaella glances over to where the Stark boys are all huddled around the small collection of archery dummies, smiling and laughing with one another. She reaches up and touches Skriax's neck but her eyes don't stray from the brothers. Surprisingly it makes her feel rather lonely seeing the siblings interact with one another. She's never had an issue being an only child. She has never felt lonely or like she missed out on anything. She had her father and she had her animals. She had everything she needed. And she never felt lonely. But seeing the Stark children interacting, it is there. It's strange for her because she's never felt like this before. Loneliness and jealousy. Skriax nudges at her shoulder, demanding her attention. Vaella chuckles a little and turns to look at him. Who needs people when she can have animals? She reaches up and scratches his face. She has never and will never need the affection of people. She moves around her griffon and climbs up onto his back and into the saddle. She is in the North and she might as well do more than sit around the Winterfell waiting for the moment they leave. She leans forward and pats the side of Skriax's neck before she settles, ready to take flight. Skriax squawks, snapping his beak, which just attracts the attention of the Stark boys who turn to watch the griffon flap his wings, scattering snow from the ground, and then take to the skies.