s i x t e e n

FLYING HAD BECOME normal in my everyday life

I spent the majority of my time on planes heading country to country for surf competitions. As soon as I had landed and got used to the jet lag, I was hopping on another plane and the process would repeat. Surfers had become experts on how to get used to jet lag, especially when it came to training and surfing.

Gabi though, I was nervous about how she would adapt. She had never flown so much in her life. Jet lag was a bitch to her and a lot of the time I was keeping her awake after we landed to make sure she was adjusting to the time zone, she would sleep a lot on the planes but she hadn't kicked the grumpiness that came with jet lag.

That was always fun.

Her head rested on my shoulder. She had fallen asleep not far into the movie she was watching and eventually she had moved in her sleep to rest her head on my shoulder. Something she would never do if she was awake.

I had respected her wishes of not talking about the night in the hotel suite as much as I wanted to. Wanted to explain what had happened all them years ago, wanted to talk about the other night and wanted to talk about the future.

I sigh, leaning my head back against the seat, the sound of the movie playing in my earphones that I am not properly listening to.

Not long left before we landed in California, Atlas, Thalia, and June had arrived earlier today. They had picked up the keys and made themselves comfortable in the Airbnb. I have to admit seeing everyone again would be nice and I'm sure Gabi couldn't wait either.

I rest my head on top of hers and she sighs in her sleep before curling up a little more. Grabbing my phone, I take a picture of us before sending it to Atlas, joking about how she would kill me when she woke up.

Have you told her?

He responds with and I rub my temple before replying with a simple no. He was advocating for me telling her about what happened years ago, but to get her to even sit and talk about it was not an option. Every time I wanted to or tried, she shut down and made an excuse she had to do something.

The announcement comes over the intercom that we are preparing for landing and I know I need to wake Gabi up.

"Gabs," I say, resting my hand on her knee and shaking her slightly. She moves but doesn't wake up. Always a heavy sleeper. I place my hand on her cheek, stroking it. "Gabs, wake up."

She groans, mumbling as she moves and her eyes slowly open. Her eyes go to my hand that is cupping her cheek, and she has realized she is sleeping on my shoulder. She lifts her head slowly, looking around groggily, trying to put the pieces back together.

"Landing?" she asks and I nod, as this had become our routine. I would always wake her up for landing. "Sorry for sleeping on your shoulder."

I shrug. "I don't mind, however, you're comfortable."