Ball of the creatures

The next day James seemed to avoid me, or else he was really busy, and I screwed myself up again. I don't even know...
Anyway, the day of the ball approached and my hands started shaking right in the morning. I was afraid that I would either be eaten or burned. One awkwardly thrown word at this time can cost a life, I have not forgotten about it. However, the advantage was that I still had three strong scary vampires with me, who for some reason needed me so much that they passed me off as one of them. Speaking of which, James knocked on my door this morning.
- I'm sorry that we didn't go anywhere yesterday, but I have a good reason, - with these words, the vampire held out an open palm to me, in which I saw a pair of gold earrings with a round ruby, - I decided that you needed something special for the ball, and I was looking for that-then around the city. These seem to have been brought from the Ottoman Empire.
- Oh my God, - I quickly took the jewelry in my hand and began to examine them, - James, they are so cool! Thanks! I won't take them off, even if I get robbed and killed because of them.
In response, the vampire laughed sincerely, and also stunned me with the news that Edward had ordered a ball gown especially for me. It was more and more like some kind of twilight fan fiction...
By the evening I was assembled: the dress chosen by Edward turned out to be a beautiful piece of red silk with a square neckline. All the edges of the fabric were trimmed with gold threads, and the middle part of the skirt and the bottom of the sleeves consisted of beige linen with small gold patterns. My golden curly hair was gathered into a high hairstyle consisting of a braid describing the entire perimeter of the crown in a circle. The final element of this incredible image was the earrings presented by James, who came straight from Turkey. I looked at them and couldn't get rid of the thought that, in theory, some Hurrem Sultan could have worn them, but in the end they were on me...Emma Woodshires from Sheffield.
I carefully, trying not to step on the long hem, went down to the first floor. There, as always, James was already waiting for me, absolutely delighted with my appearance, apparently, Edward, pleased with his work as a stylist, and just surprised William. Vampires, by the way, did not try, and looked as usual: velvet caftans of dark blue, black and dark emerald colors, respectively, black pants and leather boots of the same color.
- You look great, Mrs. Hart,- Edward nodded.
- Thanks to my image-maker.- I smiled back.
- The cart is already waiting. - James said.
- Do vampires with super speed ride a wagon?- I grinned, folding my arms across my chest.
- You need to show up effectively. - William shrugged, straightening his black velvet cloak.
A small black carriage with velvet seats inside was waiting for us on the street. I could draw parallels with Cinderella's trip to the ball, but this road was one of the worst in my life - every bump or hole shook our cart incredibly hard, giving me in the lower back. On the way, during breaks, between internal mats for every irregularity on the way, I listened to Edward, who gave me instructions: not to talk to anyone without their participation, to be close to James, to be confident. The latter is easy to say, of course...
We stopped near a large stone castle next to the Thames bank. The big gate was open, inviting inside. Well, just like in Cinderella...
At the very entrance to the ballroom, I hesitated. James noticed this and asked the brothers to wait for us inside. He gently led me along a small corridor until we were alone.
- Hey, what happened? What is it?- he asked softly, looking into my eyes.
- I... it's hard for me to walk into a hall full of vampires and witches. Such a responsibility. - I rattled off.
- We're with you. - The vampire began. - I'm with you. - He said, giving me goosebumps again.
- Oh, you don't have to convince me. - I was thinking. - Although, maybe it's worth it.
- James,- I looked him straight in the eye, - vampires can hypnotize, can't they?
- They can,- the red-haired man shook his head, apparently understanding what I was getting at, - and I'm damn good at it. - The man declared, causing me to let out a chuckle.
- Go ahead. - I pointed at myself, staring at him.
- Okay, - the vampire nodded again and gently put his hand on my neck in the place where it goes to the back of my head. - Look at me.
When my green eyes met his blue ones, it was as if I was already under hypnosis. I couldn't take my eyes off him. With his other hand, he lifted my head by the chin, but then his thumb gently slid up, ending up on my lower lip. I exhaled. It felt so hot...God... Then the vampire seemed to look a little deeper than just into my eyes.
- You're not afraid. - The red-haired man spoke softly. - You will not be afraid of anyone at the ball and you will feel confident. Repeat.
- I'm not afraid. I will not be afraid of anyone at the ball and I will feel confident. - I was talking on the machine.
- Good girl.- The vampire patted me lightly on the shoulder and looked away.
Everything instantly returned to its place, I was aware of reality again and understood where I was. The only thing that has changed is that my jitters have disappeared somewhere. I really wanted to go inside and see all the guests.
- It seems to have worked.- I grinned.
- I'm damn good at it, I'm telling you. - James giggled and held out his elbow for me to take it and we went inside together.
The very room where the ball was held was huge. Candles were burning everywhere, and an orchestra of lutes, trumpets and drums was playing in the corner. People, though rather creatures, were dressed in a variety of colors, and their jewelry glittered in the light.
- And here is our Camilla. - I heard Edward whisper behind me.
Focusing my gaze, I saw a tall woman with dark brown hair and brown eyes at the back of the ballroom. She was wearing a black velvet dress with gold inserts and fur long sleeves. Her hair was pulled back, and her head was decorated with a golden cap, like Anne Boleyn from pictures in history textbooks.
The witch was deep in conversation with someone, but for a second she turned her gaze to me, forcing me to instantly look away.
- And what should I do?- I whispered back, confused.
- Nothing. - The answer was heard. - She noticed you, that's half the plan. Just behave appropriately, and don't talk to anyone.
- I see. - I nodded slightly.
- Maybe then milady will dance with me?- James smiled, pointedly extending his hand to me.
- Oh, I don't know how. - I remembered too late. - With the dances that I know, even witches will personally take me to the bonfire and burn me.
- That is, she who can't dance, but we who live in the dark ages. - I heard William's grin behind me.
- You know, my dear wife, - James began, grabbing two goblets filled with wine from one of the wooden tables, - still, no dancing will surpass the good old booze. And if you also argue who gets drunk first.
- I always won in such games at uni. - I smiled, taking the glass from the man's hands.
- Don't you want to win the old vampire, too?- James winked and drained one cup in a second. - Catch up.
So, hiding in the corners, my "husband" and I drank cup after cup. I was drunk already on the second, but the game had to continue. When Edward came up to us and said in disappointment that Camilla had already left, I didn't care anymore.
- Witches like her never stay until the end of the ball, only appear to declare themselves. - The older vampire shrugged.
- And they wear pink on Wednesdays, don't they? - I laughed out loud at my own joke. - Well, just mean girls.
- I think Emma won. - James chuckled. - Are we going back?
- I need to talk to a couple of guests, and William has been lost for a long time. So do what you want, kids, no one is waiting for anyone. - Edward smiled and, bowing, went into the crowd.
James and I decided to play to victory.
- Hurry up, while no one is watching. - I said, choking with laughter, handing the vampire a bottle of wine, which I accidentally saw and quickly stole.
- Here you are a little thief. - The man laughed in response. - Let's get out of here, you need to get some air.
A couple of dozen minutes later we were sitting on the pier by the Thames. I was wearing James's raincoat, which he had lent me again in a gentlemanly way. He also bought me a piece of egg pie at some diner, which I appreciated very much, especially after drinking alcohol. And now we were finishing the wine from the bottle, looking at the water surface.
- I still won, admit it. - I laughed.
- I admit it. - James smiled. - I'll tell you a secret: vampires can't get drunk, but we like to try. - He winked at me.
- Oh, you!- I screamed and laughed even harder, lightly pushing the man in the shoulder. - But I forgive you because you bought me something to eat.
- I will remember how to buy your forgiveness. - The vampire smiled.
- Aren't you hungry, by the way? - I suddenly remembered what James ate.
- Don't worry, it's all right.- The man waved it away.
- And how do you like my blood?I haven't asked you yet. - I said it with a certain flirtation and did it on purpose.
- Do you really want to know? - He arched one eyebrow.
I just nodded, staring at him.
- Well, the blood of the one you have feelings for will always taste sweet, so it's not worth flirting with. - James answered me cautiously.
- Do you have feelings for me?- I leaned a little closer to him, trying to figure out what he meant.
- Well, it's obvious. - The man shrugged and smiled awkwardly, shifting his gaze to me.
- Oh, fuck it.- I said roughly.
Without hesitating for a second, I leaned forward harder, covering him with my lips. At first, James seemed confused, but then he responded to the kiss. He leaned forward himself, placing his big palm on my jaw. He placed his other hand on my waist in the coccyx area, pressing me to him. My hands automatically reached for his long red curls. I ran my fingers through them and tried to pull his head even closer to me, I just wanted him to be as close to me as possible.
The vampire's tongue penetrated my mouth, starting to explore it. I didn't mind, however, when I tried to take control of the situation myself, James didn't let me do it. He pressed me closer to him, again giving me a demanding wet kiss, showing, apparently, who is really the boss here.
Then James broke the kiss for a second, but we were still hugging each other, and our lips were a few centimeters apart.
- You're not doing this because you drank wine, are you?- The vampire suddenly asked.
- Precisely because of this. - I grinned. - Or rather, because of this, I finally dared to do it.
- Come here. - The man whispered, smiling.
I was expecting another kiss, but James pulled me to him, hugging me tightly. He gently stroked my back and hair, and I just relaxed in his arms. I have not experienced such an incredible feeling of comfort and tranquility for a long time.
Then the man, despite my objections, insisted on taking me back home.
Of course, I was counting on the continuation, but he only helped me take off my dress and untangle my hair, and then put me to bed.
- Aren't you staying? - I was indignant when he started to leave.
- No, - the vampire smiled, - you're tired, and I'm hungry.
- You can...
James interrupted me sternly. " I'll figure it out, thanks."- He relented.
Then, gently kissing me on the forehead, he left, saying goodbye: "And I hope the wine will not make itself felt."