Karma

Elliot, unable to reach Olivia for weeks, was growing increasingly concerned. When he finally learned from Fin about Rafael's condition, concern quickly turned to anger and frustration. Without giving Fin a chance to explain further, he rushed to the hospital, dialing Olivia's number yet again. His call went straight to voicemail, intensifying his frustration.

He stormed through the hospital, flashed his badge at the nurse's desk, and hurried to Rafael's room. The sight that greeted him made his blood boil: Olivia, her head resting on Rafael's arm, holding his hand.

"El, what are you doing here?" she exclaimed, startled, her hand retracting from Rafael's as if she'd just been caught red-handed.

"Is this why you've been avoiding me?" His voice was sharp, laced with hurt and accusation.

"I...I'm sorry. I didn't know how to tell you. He's been shot, and he hasn't woken up since," Olivia replied, her voice breaking as she struggled to hold back tears.

He couldn't stand seeing her cry, especially over Barba. "It's karma, Liv. He deserves it for defending Wheatley."

Anger flashed in her eyes, replacing her sadness in an instant. "Get out," she hissed.

"Come on, Liv. You know I'm right. He doesn't deserve your tears," Elliot argued, his frustration evident.

"Oh really? And what do you know about my tears, El?" she shot back, her voice trembling with fury.

"I know you shouldn't be wasting them on him."

"Well, I shouldn't have wasted them on you either when you left without a word."

"I've explained myself already, Liv."

"Yeah, well, I gave you a chance to explain yourself. I never gave Rafael that chance. I was too angry at him—for you, for Kathy, for everything I had built up in my mind about our partnership. He was right about you. You are a bully, and you'll never change," Olivia said, her voice low and steady, as she finally released the anger and hurt she had been holding back.

Her words struck him like a physical blow, leaving him momentarily stunned. Although mostly hurt, he was determined not to let it show, especially not in front of this man. Rafael might have been unconscious, but Stabler's pride still smarted. Aware that his presence would only escalate the situation, he rolled his eyes in a futile attempt to mask his hurt, and left the room with a door slam that echoed down the hallway.

Olivia released a heavy breath once he was gone, her body relaxing as the anger drained away. Her gaze returned to Rafael, his form so still and vulnerable amidst the beeping machines and tangled wires. She couldn't bring herself to look at his face, overwhelmed by the sight of him in such a fragile state. And so, she missed the single tear that escaped, trailing silently down his cheek.