Chapter 14

-14-

=Harry's POV=

I'm driving on the freeway when my phone starts to buzz off on the seat next to me. The caller ID shows that it's my lad John. My hand scuffles around on the seat and grabs my phone. I bring the phone up to my ear and answer.

"Mornin' Harry," he welcomes me, "Um you know the lead we got on our case?" He asks and I murmur meaning a yes, "I was wondering if you could go there straight away instead of to the office. Just do some investigating, see where things take you before I get there. I'm on my way so I should be there in 20 minutes. Cheers." We both say goodbye and hang up.

My mind flickers back and remembers the address of the location. I continue driving down the freeway, the sun creeping up from the horizon in the distance. Making a quick left, I drive down the unfamiliar road passing trees and crowds of people. I park my car opposite the designated house and turn off the engine.

Climbing out of the car, I double check I have my gun on my belt. I lock the car and proceed to cross the road. Observing my surroundings, I note that the door is open so I continue with caution. My fingers skim my belt, softly tracing the edges of my gun.

Notes are scattered all over the floor along with scraps of food and rubbish. I'm on the lookout for any clues about the murder, any evidence that our victim was here before or during his death. Although I don't have the case files on me at the moment because they're back in the office, I distinctly remember the tox screen results coming back indicating that the victim had suffocated to death.

The body also had traces of metals and rocks. From past experiences, this information usually pointed to that the victim had been kept in a small room with a cold concrete floor and metal piping on the walls. I lurk through the house, shining my flashlight to get a better view of the dim lit place.

I notice a creepy staircase that leads downstairs. There's no lighting at the bottom and it doesn't look pleasant at all. I progress down the stairs, my feet lightly tapping each one as I prowl further into the dark. At the end of the stairs, a cold metal door stands in between me and solving this case. My hand extends and twists the door knob, immediately sending chills down my body like a warning message.

The ringing voice of Evelyn telling me to be careful is on replay in my head. The door creeks open and I feel a gust of unpleasant smelling air on my face. Shining my flashlight around to get a better view of the mysterious place, I slowly begin to unearth clues to the crime that was taken place.

I know I can't touch anything until John gets here with Forensics. Scraps of clothing are scattered across the floor and there's no food or water in sight. This must have been torturous, sitting here for god knows how long. Hot, starving, thirsty and weak to the point where it hurt to the point where it was painful to move an inch.

My disturbing thoughts were interrupted when I heard a door scrape against the floor like someone was forcing it open. My hand darts straight for my belt and retrieves my gun. Getting a comfortable grip on it, I hold it outstretched in arms length. I make my way out of the room back to the main area of the house, carefully walking up the stairs to not to make a sound.

I scan the perimeter making sure it's safe to close it. Getting a glimpse of the time I mentally note that John should be here in five minutes. Proceeding with caution, I step into the living room. Flashlight in one hand and gun in the other, my eyes skim the cold hearted house. Without warning, I hear a shot being fired.

The metal bullet rips through my skin and penetrates my leg. My body gets weak at the knees and falls hard on the cold and uncomfortable floor. I try to open my eyes but my head is spinning so much it hurts. Brown curls draped on the floor and blood trickling from my leg, I lay helplessly.