Writer Teases

Captain Planet and the Planeteers writer Glen Powell promises the reboot will take a subversive approach to the infamous 1990s character.
Captain Planet and the Planeteers writer Glen Powell promises the reboot will take a subversive approach to the infamous 1990s character. Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, Powell discussed the process of writing the film, where his mindset is and how he is approaching the concept. He explained that Captain Planet had been a favorite of his from childhood, but Powell explained that he wants to play the concept a less straight-faced.
“I mean they've tried to make it into a superhero movie before, but they kind of did like an earnest take and ours is way more subversive and fun and like dark and irreverent," he explained. "Sometimes you have to think of these things logically. If you have a blue superhero with a green mullet, you can't do like an earnest take on that. You have to go at it from a fun [direction].”
The environmentalist-minded Captain Planet was a colorful product of its time. The cartoon centered around five children from around the world, each with control over a different element thanks to their magic rings: earth, wind, water, fire and heart. When their powered combined, it formed the Earth’s blue-and-green defender Captain Planet. Studios have been trying to make a reboot of the project for years, with major environmentalist Leonardo DiCaprio even being attached to the current version through his production company Appian Way.