Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I've mentioned how much I hate History of Magic, right? There's a very good reason why I'm not taking it anymore. Since I'm not taking it, I get a free period to study while Frank, Ray, and most of the other seventh year Gryffindors are in History of Magic. It's a much better way to spend that time. I'd rather be doing my homework than learning about some dumb goblin rebellion that happened in the 1700s.

I was working on my Potions essay in the common room when Hayley entered the room. Hayley wasn't taking History of Magic either. It wasn't that she was bad at it. She just really didn't want to take it. As I recalled, she had gotten an E on her O.W.L.s, so she could have taken it.

"Hey Gerard," she said. She sat down on one of the couches in the common room. "What are you working on?"

"Potions," I replied.

"That essay's easy," Hayley said. "You'll have it done in no time. The Herbology essay is hard though. Do you know anything about Gillyweed?"

"Nope," I said. "I copied off of Ray for that one."

"Don't you think that Professor Sprout would notice that?" Hayley asked.

I shrugged. "I changed some of the wording," I said. "She won't notice."

"I wouldn't risk it though," Hayley said.

I continued to work on my Potions essay, but I didn't know how to start. "Hayley, what does Polyjuice Potion do?" I asked.

Hayley rolled her eyes. "Really Gerard? We've been talking about that in class for weeks. It changes your appearance so that you resemble someone else."

"So I could turn into you?" I asked.

"Theoretically, but I have no idea why you would want to do that," Hayley said.

"Got it," I said, and I continued to write the essay. Hayley was right. It was easy once I got going. In fact, I quickly finished the entire essay. Hayley was still working on her Herbology essay when I finished, but she finished a few minutes later.

"We still have half an hour before Defense Against The Dark Arts," Hayley stated.

"Awesome," I said.

"So did Frank ever schedule that Quidditch game?" Hayley asked.

"Yeah, it's next Thursday against Ravenclaw," I said.

Hayley groaned. "That's going to be impossible."

"I know," I said.

"Are the Slytherins playing?" Hayley asked. "I bet we could beat them."

"No," I replied. "Mikey said that he would come to our game though."

"Well, I guess not everyone loves Quidditch as much as we do," Hayley said. She sighed. "I guess we'll just have to practice as hard as we can before the Triwizard Tournament starts. I was really hoping that we could win the Quidditch Cup this year. It is our last year at Hogwarts, after all."

"Me too, but sometimes before it gets better, the darkness gets bigger."

"Didn't Pete say that once?" Hayley asked.

I laughed. "Yeah, I kind of stole it from him," I told her. Besides being a great Quidditch player, Pete also had a way with words.

"In any case, the Triwizard Tournament is going to be fun," Hayley said. "Are you entering?"

"I think so," I said. "Frank's probably going to be chosen though."

"I wouldn't be so sure," Hayley said. "Any of us seventh years could be the Hogwarts champion."

"Well, it's definitely not going to be me, but I'll enter anyways," I said.

"Oh come on Gee," Hayley said. "You're smart."

"Are you entering?" I asked Hayley.

"Yeah," Hayley said. She grinned. "It's going to be so much fun to meet the students from the other schools."

Oh right. Beauxbatons and Durmstrang were coming. I'd heard all kinds of things about both schools, but most of us seemed to agree that Beauxbatons was full of snobs and Durmstrang taught their students the Dark Arts. You couldn't make assumptions though. "Yeah, that will be fun," I told Hayley.

"Ain't it fun living in the real world?" Hayley joked.

I smiled and nodded. "It's almost time for Defense Against The Dark Arts," I reminded Hayley.

"It is?" Hayley asked. "Wow. I guess time really does fly when you're having fun." She got off of the couch and grabbed her Defense Against The Dark Arts textbook. Then we both headed for the Defense Against The Dark Arts classroom. Professor Howell and the Slytherins were already there, but the other Gryffindors weren't. Professor Binns must have lost track of the time again.

Frank and Ray walked in a few minutes later. "Hey Gee!" Frank exclaimed. "How was your free period?"

"Not bad," I said as I took out a piece of paper for notes. I sketched a few of my classmates in the margin of the paper before class started.

"You're a really good artist," Frank said as he looked over my shoulder.

"Thanks," I whispered.

Professor Howell began class. We were working on resisting the Imperius curse, even though I still wasn't able to cast a Patronus. Resisting the Imperius curse was another ridiculously hard topic, but I thought I was starting to get the hang of it. Then again, there's never been nothing to learn.