12. A Lesson in Poisons and Trust

The whole school seemed to have come to watch the first game of the season. The multicoloured stands loomed high above the pitch, and our merry group of non-playing Slytherins were ready with our little binoculars. Or, in Blaise's case, a book.

"Really, Blaise? It's the first game of the season, show some respect." I nudged him.

"I can't give respect to Quidditch, I won't have enough to give to more important things in life."

"Like what?" Greg inquired.

"My bed ."

I patted Greg on the shoulder. "Don't mind him, he's just being a sourpuss because apparently eleven o'clock is too early -"

"Yeah, for a weekend! It's Sunday, I should not be up in the cold morning air on a Merlin-damned Sunday!"

"Wow," Greg muttered, "He really is being a sourpuss."

I tutted mockingly. "There's just no hope for people like him."

Harry twisted the binoculars in his hand with an incredibly confused look, raising them up to his eyes over and over. "These make me feel dizzy, are they supposed to do that?"

I pushed them down from his face. "They're minorly charmed to automatically follow the action on the field, because otherwise it's hard to get a good look when players are moving so fast. Since there's nothing going on right now they're probably trying to figure out where the biggest action is - that being, nothing on the field, and too much up on the stands."

He held them at an arm's reach, staring at them like they were, well, magic. "Is there any way I can get them to... not?"

"I guess it depends on what you're trying to focus on," I hummed, "Depending on whether the enchantment was working with what you wanted to see compared to whatever external factor was strongest."

"So if I try to focus more on something specific it'll go to that thing?" He pressed the device back up to his eyes and turned to face me, leaning back looking for a second before taking them off with a blinding grin. "You look really blurry all close up like that."

Merlin, beyond everything that he'll go through, he really is just an eleven year old discovering a new world. Tell him to focus strongly on one thing alone and he chooses to look at me?

"I think I'd die for you." I told him honestly.

His binoculars swerved down to the pitch, seemingly without his accord. "Not yet you won't, they're starting!"

I laughed lightly. 'Baby's first quidditch game.' My laughter stopped quickly, and I took a deep breath. 'Right, it's the first quidditch game. Keep an eye out.'

The players lined up in the centre facing each other. As they did that, I managed to pinpoint on the opposite stand to ours both Severus and Quirrells location for future reference. Just in case.

Madam Hooch, the referee for this game, chatted with both teams a bit but mainly spoke toward the Slytherin side. I grimaced, remembering... things that have been said about this team. While normally I'm very strongly against the bias facing Slytherin, when it comes to Quidditch we may deserve a little bit of sterness.

The players all shot up, setting the quaffle into strong motion with Angelina Johnson. Lee Jordan rang in my ear, voice transmitted through the whole pitch for his completely impartial commentary.

"That's Adrian Pucey speeding off towards the goalposts, but he's blocked by a second bludger - sent his way be Fred or George Weasley, can't tell which - nice play by the Gryffindor beater, anyway, and Johnson back in possession of the quaffle, a clear field ahead and off she goes - she's really flying - dodges a speeding bludger - the goalposts are ahead - come on now, Angelina - Keeper Bletchley dives - misses - GRYFFINDOR SCORE!"