Prologue

For those of you who are wondering who this fella here is, I am the legendary Colonel Tom Parker

"Colonel Tom Parker, legendary manager of Elvis and Ella Presley, has been rushed to Valley Hospital". A newscaster said

I am the man who gave the world Elvis Presley and Ella Anderson. Without me, there would be no Elvis Presley and Ella Anderson. And yet, there are some who'd make me out to be the villain of this here story

"Colonel Tom Parker was a liar, a cheat, a con man". #1 news reporter said. "A shocking new book accuses Colonel Tom Parker of massive fraud and mis-management. Parker received as much as 50% of Elvis' income and 45% of Ella's income. He worked Elvis and Ella like mules, to support his own gambling addiction"

"The court finds that the compensation received by Colonel Parker was excessive, and shocked the conscience of the court". Another news reporter said

"Many believe that Colonel Tom Parker was responsible for the deaths of Elvis and Ella Presley". The #1 news reporter said

"Now, you listen to me". Tom said to a doctor. "The only thing that matters is that that man gets up on that stage tonight". The doctor ends up giving Elvis some medicine that perks him up enough to actually get up and go on stage to perform his show in Las Vegas for his fans. 

"Tom Parker killed them!" A newscaster said repeatedly

"No! That's not true". Tom Parker said, as he shot up from the hospital bed that he was in. He breathed heavily and grunted as he then reached over and turned on the lights in his hospital room. He then looks out of the window that gives him a great view of the International Hotel. 

"No, no, I didn't kill them. I made Elvis and Ella Presley". Tom said. 

Nothing all those muckrakers said in their books was true. Me, Elvis and Ella, we were partners. Even before they married. It was Elvis and Ella the Showmance and the Colonel the Snowman

"This is the lying Dutchman". A female reporter said, as Tom sat down at a slot machine and played it

I always knew I was destined for greatness. As an orphan I ran away to the carnival, where I learned the art of the "snow job", of emptying a rube's wallet while leaving them with nothing but a smile on their face. But a carnival act that would get you the most money, the most snow, had great costumes and a unique trick, that gave the audience feelings they weren't sure they should enjoy. But they do. 

And I knew if I could find such an act, I could create the greatest... show... on... earth. After the carnival, I moved into the music business... the country music business. I partnered with one of its biggest stars, Hank Snow. And his hapless son, Jimmie Rodgers Snow

"Hot-diggity-dog, Billy. I got one". Jimmie said holding up a record that held the next two biggest stars on it. 

"Oh, yeah". Billy responded with a smile. 

"Can't believe it. Blow their socks off". Jimmie said as he walked towards a record player.

Parker was sitting at a table reading a clipboard as he talked about the next few shows. 

"Security. Security, Diskin! Tell the mayors of these towns that we need a police escort for Hank when he arrives". Parker said to his secretary. "In Baton Rouge, we are going to have a carny wedding at the top of the Ferris wheel, so, Zina, pick out your next husband. In New Orleans, we're gonna use the loudspeaker to announce you, Hank". 

"Oh, sure". Hank responded to Parker. 

Parker then walked over to the little people and began speaking to them in Ciazarn. "...You are going to march in the parade". Parker told the little people in English, to which they expressed their excitement in Ciazarn. 

"Am I gonna be riding on an elephant, too?" Hank asked Parker. 

"A man on an elephant looks important". Parker retorted. 

"And taller". Diskin added. 

"We still need to get a novelty act to bring in the young folk". Hank said. 

"Well, yes, yes, that's why you have a meeting with the Duke of Paducah tonight". Parker told him. "If we can book "the Funniest Mouth in the South", we'll have the greatest show of the season". 

"Hey, Jimmie, turn that record off". Hank ordered his son. 

Hank turned back to the conversation that he was having with Parker but his son interrupted him. "Y'all have to hear this. Kids all over town are playing it everywhere I go". Jimmie said. 

"At last, my love has come along. My lonely days are over. And life is like a song. Oh, yeah, yeah". A young woman's voice played through the vinyl record player. 

Everyone listens to the young woman's voice for a little while longer as it continues to play throughout the vinyl record player. They pay attention to the words and her beautiful soulful/jazzy voice. 

"Okay, okay. She's amazing, but you gotta hear him too!" Jimmie exclaims in excitement as he switches the vinyl record over and plays the first song on it. They all once again listen to the young man's voice as well that was playing throughout the record player. 

"I hear Negro rhythms". Hank said to his son. 

"But with a country flavor". Jimmie added. 

"Sun Records? That's Sam Phillips' label". Diskin said taking the record cover from Jimmie's hands and looking down at it. 

"Oh, yeah, Phillips". Parker said. "He makes all those race records, with the colored singers".

"Well, this fella and the gal's on the Hayride tonight, after me in the newcomer spots". Jimmie said to Parker. 

"In Shreveport?" Parker questioned and then shook his head. "No, they are not putting a colored boy and girl on the Hayride".

Jimmie smiled. "That's the thing. They're white". 

"They're..." Parker said trailing off, everyone then turned their attention onto Jimmie. "They're white?" Jimmie smiled and nodded his head in response. 

"What do you think, Texarkana?" The Radio DJ asked through the radio. "Shall we play it for the 27th time?" Someone turns up the radio's volume a little bit as At Last starts to play again. 

"They're white?" Parker muttered to himself. 

But it don't matter if you do ten stupid things, as long as you do one smart one