107 years old and no time left to waste

Earth-616:

Washington, DC

Day Thirteen

x

"So. Are we going to talk about it, or what?"

For all of the strides Bucky had made in therapy, before the Thunderbolts, when it was just another part of his immunity agreement—it was amazing how quickly he backslid.

He couldn't bring himself to look doc in the eye. All he could do was stare out the window, at the green lawn in front of him, and watch as Yelena played fetch with Fanny.

He'd insisted she didn't have to come with him to the appointment, that he was fine leaving his apartment and going alone. And Yelena played it off well—she made some excuse about wanting to see the National Mall, and to take Fanny out for some exercise—but James knew better.

She was scared to leave him alone. And honestly, he didn't blame her.

"Bucky."

He snapped his attention back to his therapist. His blood boiled. "You know that I hate it—"

"—when I call you Bucky?" She nodded, not bothering the hide the small smile as it formed on her face. "Good. You're still here."

He groaned as he watched her look down at her notepad and scribble away. They'd sat in silence for the first five minutes of their appointment.

"It's not that I don't want to talk about it..."

She snorted. Bucky rolled his eyes.

"Okay, fine, maybe I don't—I just don't see what good it will do. I mean," he motioned out the window, to Yelena. "The only reason I'm in here talking to you, and she's not, is because for whatever reason, Valentina and Ross decided to report me a missing person, and not Yelena."

"Well, if it sets your mind at ease—Yelena's at risk for deportation, since she's not a US citizen. So the less legal attention is drawn to her, the better."

"Oh, fantastic." Bucky's voice was dripping with sarcasm. "That explains everything, doc, thanks."

The therapist slammed her notebook shut.

"Let's cut the bullshit, James. You might be here because the court mandated you come back to therapy, since you went AWOL for ten days—but you and I both know, I'm going to sign off on the form that says you're mentally stable and fit to return to society. This whole appointment is one big formality."

James shrugged. He was grateful, but the whole situation was pissing him off so much, it was hard to find a moment of appreciation.

"So," she leaned forward in her chair. "For old time's sake, let's talk about it."

"About what?"

"What's really bothering you?"

She paused for a moment, and watched as his line of sight flitted from her face, to the window—where Yelena Belova was the only person close by—and back to her.

She jerked her head in Yelena's direction. "Something to do with her?" she asked.

James took a deep breath. As he exhaled, he resolved he was going to keep his therapist on as much of a need-to-know basis as possible—mostly because he wasn't sure he had the facts straight himself.