Chapter Six

At the boss' request, Chuuya and Y/n had begun training together. As much as it annoyed him to admit it, she was strong and, despite the fact that she was five months out of practice, he struggled to beat her without his ability.

After a particularly tough bout, they both stood to the side of the mat. Chuuya watched as Y/n took a long drink from her water bottle.

"You're always watching me." she commented, setting the bottle back down on the floor and wiping her mouth with the back of her hand.

"You intrigue me." Chuuya shrugged.

"I don't like that answer. You're hiding something."

"Or maybe, you just want it to be more than that. You cultivate a cryptic nature so as to draw others to you."

"Or maybe I 'cultivate my cryptic nature' as you say, so that people stay away from me."

"Ah, you've been betrayed by someone who was meant to stand by you and want to stop it from happening again."

"And if thats true? Then I'm just like every other member of this organization rendering me, once again, unworthy of such intrigue."

"Who betrayed you?"

"I wouldn't be doing a very good job at being cryptic if I told you."

"True."

A knock at the door pulled their attention away from one another and they watched Akutagawa enter the room. Shutting the door behind him, he made his way across the room to where they stood.

"Y/n, I want you to try training him." Chuuya said, nodding his head towards Akutagawa as he fell into a chair.

"You sure?" she sighed.

"Yep."

"I've never trained anyone before."

There was almost a hint of doubt marring her normally even tone as she said the words.

"You're an executive. Sooner or later you'll end up with subordinates of your own and you'll need to be able to train them."

"Whatever."

Annoyance clear in her movements, Y/n stepped onto the mat. Akutagawa looked uncertainly at his superior who nodded as if to say go on. With a sigh, he took off his coat and followed suit. Standing face to face, Y/n raised her fists.

"No abilities." she said and Akutagawa nodded in response.

They both stood in silence for a moment before Y/n realized the young man was waiting for her go ahead.

"Begin."

Before any normal person would have been able to react, Akutagawa swung at her, but Y/n had been raised in this world and she deftly avoided, not a hair out of place. In one fluid motion, she had Akutagawa on the floor in front of her.

"You hesitated." she remarked, "Again."

Akutagawa rose to his feet at her words and attacked her again, this time aiming a kick at her chest. As if expecting it, caught his foot in her hand, knocking him off balance. He stumbled back as she released it.

"You always look where you're about to strike."

"How else are you supposed to do it." Akutagawa asked, shooting Chuuya a questioning glance.

His superior gave no response and Y/n simply shrugged.

"I don't know." Chuuya glared at her and she sighed before continuing, "You just kinda have to expect where the person is going to be. Here, I'll show you. You defend this time."