4

italics = thoughts

last night i let my cat sleep in my room. when i woke up i was expecting a peaceful hickory sleeping near my feet. but no! i got a face full of cat ass and a fart that smelled like alex's dirty volleyball jersey.

i read the time "8:13". i felt my phone buzz and saw that i had gained some followers on instagram.

• @lukehughes43 has followed you •
• @theoriginalhughes has followed you •
• 109 new followers •

i giggled at quinn's username.

since i haven't done anything with my sister in michigan, i thought id ask her if she wanted to get brunch with me. i stumbled my way into the kitchen with my leg still asleep. i can't explain the way it feels, it's good but also hurts.

nobody was there. "hey alexa, play forever winter by taylor swift." i love this song so much. it's almost my favorite. my favorite will always be dress on taylor's reputation album.

i danced around for a little listening to most of the red (taylor's version) album. i was out of breath after so i sat down on my couch and turned on star struck.

it's such a good 2000s teen romcom, nothing can beat it. while i was watching it scarlet came to the room.

"oh hey ave, whatcha watching?"

"star struck! that reminds me, i wanted to ask you scar, do you wanna get brunch with me somewhere today?"

"i'm always hungry, of course" she replied.

"okay good i'm going to get dressed then we can go." i stated. i got up from the L shaped couch and walked upstairs to my room.

the room:

i decided to wear grey sweats and a black and white sweatshirt from urban outfitters with my converse

i went over to my bathroom which i did my skincare and took and shower before putting on my outfit.

i also curled my hair with a big barrel curling iron so it was loose big curls. i walked into my room and saw hickory sitting on my clothes.

ugh great now i have to lint roll my outfit.

i picked him up and put him in my window sill so he can watch the squirrels and birds in the backyard.

i got the keys to my car and screamed upstairs, "HEY SCAR, ARE YOU READY YET?"

"NO BITCH IM SLOW AS HELL, JUST GET IN THE CAR!"

i did as i was told and sat in my car for a solid minute before i got bored, and decided to take alex's volleyball from the garage and play with it.

i used to play volleyball for my high school, but i dislocated my shoulder. so i had to quit. i miss volleyball especially since i was on varsity.

after peppering with the wall i heard someone scream my name. "hey avery!" i turned around and was met with those ocean eyes.

"hey jack, what are you doing?" i asked.

"i'm just sweeping my garage, what about you?"

"playing volleyball with the wall, since i'm waiting on my slow ass sister." i could see him laugh after describing my sister like that.

"if you want i could practice with you?"

"i would love that jack." he dropped his broom and walked over to my driveway.

"okay so how do i do this?" he asked looking confused. i giggled, "so you want to hold one hand flat, then put the back of your other hand on your palm."

he was following directions really good.. it's kinda hot.

"then pull both of your thumbs together.." i was watching his every move, making sure he doesn't mess up. or maybe because he's a cutie.

"like this?"

"just like that." i smiled at him. 

"okay i think your ready hughes!" he looked annoyed that i called him hughes instead of jack. i just laughed internally because i didn't want to hurt his feelings.

—————

scarlet ended up never being ready because she had super bad period cramps. but while i was waiting, i never noticed how cute jack was. his medium brown fluffy hair, ocean blue eyes that i could swim in, the way he respects people especially his family.

that's a big dealbreaker, if he's mean to his family. "i'm exhausted avery." jack said laying down on the grass.

i sat down on the grass next to him, "have you ever wanted to play any other sport than hockey?" i asked.

"theres always been some part of me not wanting to play hockey, but i can't help it. i was born into a hockey family." he sighed.

 "my dad and mom both skated, quinn and luke both play hockey. it's almost like i don't have a choice," he continued, "i love hockey so much, and i definitely want to continue doing it. but sometimes i just wonder what it would be like if i played a different sport."

did he just vent to me? i wonder if he's told anyone else this. 

"i understand jack. my brother issac, always felt pressured by my dad and his brother to play football like them. my uncle is ben roethlisberger, so he kind of impacted what sport isaac was going to play." i continued, "even though he and my dad wanted him to play football, issac always had a passion for hockey."

JACK POV:

did she just vent to me? i wonder if her brother would be okay with her telling me this. "hey, i'm really sorry but i have to go inside, im fucking starving." i said.

she frowned and looked sad. almost disappointed that i said that. fuck, she totally hates me now. why the hell would i say that. it sounds like i don't want to hang out with her anymore.

"okay jack, have a good brunch. bye hughesy!" she said with a grin. that nickname gave me butterflies. hughesy, hughesy, hughesy, HUGHESY. little did i know, that nickname wouldn't leave my head until weeks later.

A/N: HOW WAS THIS!!! IM NEW TO DOING POVS SO LMK IF YOU GUYS LIKE IT!! LOVE YA 🙇‍♀️💗