67

CHAPTER 67

HENRY’S POV

The apartment felt emptier than usual, shadows of loneliness dancing across the walls. I hadn't been to work for days, the daily grind suddenly feeling meaningless without her infectious laughter echoing through the halls. Sophia had left, and the silence left in her wake was deafening.

The incessant buzzing of my phone had become a painful reminder of her absence. I'd avoided answering, unable to face the reality of her not being there. It took Lynda, my ever-persistent secretary and friend, to knock some sense into me. She appeared at my doorstep, determination in her eyes.

I opened the door to find Lynda with a look that was a mix of concern and frustration. "Henry, you've been MIA for days. Ignoring calls, neglecting work. What's going on?" she demanded, pushing past me into the apartment.

I sighed, a heavy weight settling on my chest. "It's Sophia, Lynda. She's gone."

Her eyes softened with understanding, and she gestured for us to sit. "Tell me everything. What happened?"

I recounted the whole ordeal, from Catherine's unexpected appearance to the explosive confrontation with Collins. Lynda listened intently, her expressions shifting from shock to sympathy. When I finished, I expected a 'I told you so,' but Lynda surprised me.

"Henry, I'm not here to rub salt in the wound. I hate seeing you like this," she said, her voice gentle. "But, if I may say, I did warn you about the complications of dating someone so much younger."

I chuckled bitterly. "Yeah, you did. And now I'm paying the price."

She leaned forward, her eyes searching mine. "Henry, love is never simple. It's messy, complicated, and sometimes downright painful. But it's also beautiful, worth fighting for."

I ran a hand through my hair, frustration bubbling within me. "What am I supposed to do, Lynda? Sophia's father has disowned her, and she's left without a trace. I feel like I've lost everything."

Lynda's gaze held mine. "You haven't lost everything, Henry. Not yet. Maybe it's time to fight for what matters. Go after her, talk to her father, make amends. You won't know unless you try."

I scoffed, the idea of facing Collins seeming like an insurmountable challenge. "Do you really think he'd listen? After what happened?"

"You won't know until you try," Lynda repeated, her tone unwavering.

The silence that followed was heavy with contemplation. Lynda broke it with a sigh. "Look, Henry, I care about you. I hate seeing you like this, but wallowing won't solve anything. If you want Sophia back, you have to fight for her."

I nodded, a mix of gratitude and reluctance filling me. "You're right, Lynda. I can't stay like this."

"Good. Now, get dressed, go to work, and figure out a plan. You're not alone in this, Henry. I'm here for you," she said, standing up.

I slouched on the couch, my mind swirling with thoughts of Sophia, when Lynda dropped the question that had been lingering like a storm cloud. "Henry, have you thought about moving on? Maybe this love is just too difficult."

I shot her a look that hovered between incredulity and disbelief. "Move on? Lynda, you can't just turn off feelings like a faucet. This isn't some job I can quit because it's too tough."

Lynda sighed, her eyes searching mine as if trying to understand the enigma that was my emotional turmoil. "I get it, Henry. Love is messy, but there's a point where it becomes self-destructive. Sophia's father disowned her, and you're stuck in this limbo. Is it worth all the pain?"