Chapter 6: The Lost Cub

Voice cast:

Steve Yuen as Derek Knight
Alice Lee as Nicole Suwan
Jace Norman as Galen
Max Charles as Liuer
David Jason as Yar
———————————————————————————

Over the next few days, the house was fully repaired after the attack from the Titanophant herd. Derek and Nicole's wounds have healed thanks to Yar's medicine. They were back to harvesting crops, cleaning up the house, and taking care of Maggie, a strange beast that is large in size and has chimeric anatomy. She appears to have the body of a yak and the head of a condor, and she walks on two legs, giving her a passing resemblance to theropod dinosaurs. The hind limbs resemble those of a rhinoceros, and have three hooved toes on each foot. Along with her companion Ajabu the Taperaffe. He has a chalicothere-like bodyplan, his feet are quite similar to Maggie's, a prehensile trunk which was about as long as the arm of an adult female human, and a pair giraffe-like horns on his head.

Today was one of few days that the kids would have a break, and they decided to play some baseball. However, with only three of them, they didn't have enough players to play the game properly. They also didn't have a bat or a ball or a mitten. So, they came up with a new game.

The goal was to see how close you can get to cutting a Pitcher melon thrown at you down the middle. Whoever did wins the game.

(This is a Pitcher melon, by the way

(This is a Pitcher melon, by the way.)

Being a baseball player himself, Derek was the first one up to bat, using the Slasher spear that he used not only for defense and hunting, but for the crops as well. Stepping up to the plate, Derek lightly hits the sides of his feet on the spear as if it was a bat before getting position. "Alright, Galen! Show me what you've got!"

Struggling at first, Galen managed to roll the first melon onto the pitching mound. Then, using all of his strength, he threw it at Derek. The moment Galen threw it, Derek went through the motions and took a swing. Cutting the melon in two.

The three friends walked over to the two halves, and Derek picked them up. Placing them together, he saw how close he was to cut it down the middle.

"Wow, Derek! You almost got it!" Galen said, pointing at the melon.

"Bet I could do better," Nicole said with a smirk.

"Oh, is that so?" Derek asked with a smile, taking it she was challenging him. Holding out his spear to her, he said, "By all means, Nicky, show us what you've got."

"You've got it." Nicole took the weapon as Galen ran back over to the pitching mound. Nicole walked up to the plate and got ready to swing. "Hey, Batta Batta Batta!"