Chapter 1

(No One)

-Flashback 1680's-

A woman is being hanged as towns people gather around her.

Frances V.O: For more than 200 years we Owens women have been blamed by everything that's ever gone wrong in this town.

Young Sally or Gillian V.O: Is that why people hate us so much Aunt Frances?.

Bridget V.O: They don't hate us sweetheart. We just make them a little nervous.

Frances V.O: Let's face it Jet. We Owens women have always created a stir. It all began with your ancestor Maria. She was a witch. The first in our family. And you are the most recent in a long and distinguished line.

Young Katrina V.O: Is that why they wanted to hang her Gran?. Because she was a witch?.

Frances V.O: The fact that she was a bit of a heartbreaker didn't help. Nor did it help that most of her lovers had wives on the hanging committee. But no I didn't think it was either of those reasons. They feared her because she had a gift a power that has been passed on to you children. She had the gift of magic. 

Maria puts her foot over the edge of the gallows and closes her eyes and jumps.

Frances V.O: And it was this very gift that saved her life. 

The towns people run about.

Frances V.O: She was vanished to this very island. With her unborn child growing inside her belly. She waited for her lover to rescue her. But he never came. No one came. In a moment of despair she cast a spell upon herself that she would never again feel the agony of love. But as her bitterness grew the spell turned into a curse. A curse on any man who dared love an Owens woman.

-Flashback: Sally and Gillian's family visit to the beach-

Sally, Gillian and their parents are on the beach having a picnic playing around.

Young Sally or Gillian V.O: So Is that why Daddy died?. From the curse?.

Frances V.O: Yes my darling. Your mother knew. She heard the beetle ticking for your father's death all day long. She knew that when you hear the sound of the deathwatch beetle the man you love is doomed to die.