Chapter 23 - Warzone

Warning: May contain material that may offend some readers.

I felt sick as I sat on the chair. It was my fault that Tristan was here, in a coma-like state. It's only been about ten minutes since the doctor told me my venom was about to kill Tristan but it felt like forever.

This is what Immorals do. They feed on blood from their prey and replaced it with their venom. That's horrible. That's vulgar. That's... me.

I couldn't get away from the fact that I was one of the monsters, it was in my blood. I had unknowingly traded my uncompatible venom with Tristan's blood for my own selfish desires. I hated myself so much.

Self-loathing was the only thing that made me feel like I wasn't alone. I stared at his neutral expression and my heart sank. I wanted him to wake up but at the same time didn't. How would I be able to explain? I wanted him to rest until he was one hundred percent better, never letting him out of my sight.

I walked over to the bed that he was placed in and ran a hand through his soft hair. I missed him, his voice, his laughter, the way he looked at me, his mysterious smiles, seductive whispers, everything. I even liked the way he was so lazy in the morning that I had to get everything for him.

His sleeping face reminded me that he was so close to me yet so far away. In his own world. My heart ached for him to come back.

"I don't know what to do." I whispered to myself.

I took my shoes off and slid into the bed with him, resting my head on his shoulder and examining his emotionless face.

"I hate what they've done to us." I said to myself, looking at him.

I felt so lonely apart from the silence that occupied the room.

"It's all my fault. There's going to be a fight tonight and you and Daniel aren't here to help me. I don't know what to do."

Somewhere deep down inside me, I was expecting a message of help. A sign for my next step. Something. Anything.

As I looked at him, I realized how he meant so much to me. I trust him with my life and I love him so much it hurts. I heard the thunder shake the sky outside and the rainy weather cast a dark atmosphere inside the room.

I thought for a moment. Instead of talking to myself in this gloomy room, I needed to get things ready. I needed to be strong and fight. To keep the pack's name. To keep Tristan's name. Losing was not an option to me anymore.

Tonight, I was fighting to keep the rankings up. Just me. I was the Luna of this loyal, trustworthy pack, and I haven't done anything to show them that. It was my time to prove that I was actually useful. They didn't all need to protect me like Tristan does. I was going to show all of them exactly what they weren't expecting.

Nicole's POV

I didn't have a car.

I needed a car.

I locked the door as I called up Lucas.

"Hello?" he said.

"Come to my house." I replied. "Quickly."

"Why?" he asked.

"I'll explain later."

"I'm on my way."

I paced back and forth infront of the house, worrying about Tristan and Scar. Why did she always have to run away from her problems? How does Tristan put up with her?

But I knew how she felt. In a way. To be honest, if I was her, I would run away too.

I shook my head vigorously. Why do I keep switching sides? Do I like her or not? Why do I keep doing this? Why do I keep annoying myself?