A Day of Sorrow, Chapter 3

Derosai Azrin

The Republic of Ilasha

Riverin

June 15, 4182 A.D.

7:14 A.M.

Derosai lifted the bottle, filling Crow's glass with her beautifully aged wine, two decades old. He smiled, bringing the glass to his nose and swirling the liquid around before taking a slow and careful sip. He moaned in joy, setting the glass down in front of him.

"Kaval wine, it's such a specialty. Magic infused within so that kavals don't fall ill from the grapes. So much love goes into this wine, making it difficult not to enjoy. This is why I always come back. There is no better host than you, my lady."

"Thank you. I'm a wonder to be around," Derosai said, sitting across from him on the red velvet sofa, in between a tea table with four rubies engraved into each corner.

Her desk rested off to the side of her office. It was large enough to hold a bedroom, a sunken in living room, and a study. It was built for late nights long before she took the position as the vemrin of Riverin.

"As I said before, I have big plans on how we could eliminate the soul devourers, permanently. I know it's a long shot, seeing as our ancestors have been at it for four and a half thousand years, but I'm determined for my son to have no part in this destructive world. Of the high kalris' I'm bringing it to you because I feel that our minds are one on this matter. Others are too concentrated on power, the civil disputes of man, or their own personal ambitions. They've almost pushed the thought of soul devourers aside. It might be because the majority of the world doesn't need to think of them on a daily basis as we do in the republic," Derosai said.

"None of the other high kalris' are in sync with your goals? I find that hard to believe. Many of them would die to bring an end to the soul devourers," Crow said.

"Well, you're not looking at it the way I do. Pardon my raw manner of speaking, but your wife is too consumed with power. Vermont concentrates too heavily on civil matters between lands. Nalick is too bloodthirsty. Jasmine can never be found unless called upon. No one knows where she goes. I have a difficult time trusting a woman who's been in The Order longer than any of the other high kalris', somehow remaining young, and still isn't the paladine even though she probably could've been. And lastly, creator forgive me for saying this, but Eena has fallen into too deep a depression to be considered a reliable partner in this matter."

"And she has good reason for it. What happened to her was terrible and if I ever find out who attacked her, they'll live a very long, very painful life. I don't know how they've hidden their tracks so well, but I will find them," Crow said.

"I agree, however, I didn't come to speak about crimes committed by man. I want to know, are we one on this matter?"

"Of course, we are. I'll do whatever it takes to get rid of those fucking abominable creatures."

"Well, in that case," Derosai took a sip of her wine, "we should evacuate all living societies within this continent into the three great cities. A purge is in order."

"A purge? I don't follow," Crow said.

Derosai leapt to her feet excitedly, spilling the last few drops of her wine onto the carpet. She strode over to her desk and grabbed one of the three round objects on top, a line protruding from its head. She walked back to the sofas and presented Crow with her and her husband's masterpiece.

"This here is our future. The destruction of the soul devourers... along with most trees and wildlife living on this continent. Any that aren't within the walls."