Chapter 8: Beep Beep

Let me just start off by saying that I honestly didn't think anyone read this story so that's why I haven't updated it. I think about it all the time but I've never felt like I had a reason to continue it. So I just want to say thank you to forever_hope101 for commenting and even if they are the only ones who read this, it'll be worth it! So, here we go. Sorry if it's a little rusty or doesn't make sense, but I'll go back and edit it later :)

___________________________

I can't see. Everything is black. I have no idea where I am or who I'm with and all I know is that everything hurts. My head is pounding like someone threw a really big rock at me. My back is burning like I was branded down all of it. My lungs sting every time air goes into them; and my leg. My leg HURTS with a pain I can't describe. It's like nothing I've ever felt before.

The last thing I remember was Keoki crying and carrying me to the sand. And pain. A lot of pain. What on earth happened? Why was there so much blood? And how did I wipe out in the first place? Why can't I get out of my head!? I just want to see David and Keoki and know what's going on!

Pain in my chest. Now I feel like someone punched me in my chest. But it feels like I got the wind knocked IN to me instead of out.

My eyes are finally letting me control them and when I open them, there's bright lights that look like the sun shining down on me. I quickly close my eyes again and try to raise my left hand to my head to stop the pounding but something stops me. It feels like there's something wrapped on my wrist that won't let me raise it far enough to touch my head. I can hear voices speaking quietly, but so quietly that I can't make out what they're saying or who they are.

That's when I hear it. Beep beep beep. I know that sound. Beep beep beep. I've only heard it once before. Beep beep beep. That's a heart monitor. Am I in the hospital? Why would I be in the hospital?

I try to open my eyes again, but more carefully this time and with my eyes facing a different direction so I don't look directly into those lights again. Once they're finally open, I look around and that's when I see Keoki. He's looking at me with fear and hope in his eyes. I raise my right hand and touch his cheek and he closes his eyes and tears stream out of them. It makes my eyes water and I begin to cry. I've always hated seeing him cry because he's always been the strong one.

I try to talk to him, to ask him why he's crying, but I can't. Words won't come out of my mouth. He sees me trying to talk and quickly shushes me.

"Don't talk sweetheart. They have a tube in your throat." He looks down when he sees the fear in my eyes. "You needed it because you wouldn't breathe on your own." He stands up and leans over me. I look to see what he's doing and notice that he's pushing a red button on the side of the bed I'm on.

A few seconds later, a doctor and a nurse come rushing in. The doctor looks at me with disbelief in his eyes and says quietly, "She's awake." He comes over to my bed and pushes the button again before he puts his hand on my forehead. He has so much concern in his eyes and when I really look at him, I recognize who he is. This man is my uncle. I always remember my parents telling me and David about our uncle that was a doctor on the other side of the island and the biggest hospital here. He's the one that saved David when he was little and got meningitis. But that was a long time ago and I haven't seen him since then.

"Do you feel like you can breathe on your own?" He asks me. I take a second to really think about that before I slowly nod my head yes.

Two more nurses come into the room right then and he starts talking to all three of them, saying things I don't understand before they all four come over to me. One nurse has a basin in her hands under my chin and I can only guess what it's for.