iv - Doppio falso

»»
Doppio falso
Double-faced

The display of jewellery before her excited Corazon to no end. Unlike the engagement party, her mother gave in to her request and let her choose whatever she wanted. Only necklaces, earrings and bracelets were for her to make a choice from, the wedding ring itself was to come from the bridegroom's family.

Seated on a very comfortable plush maroon cushion in an exclusive room with her mother seated right beside her, the jeweller and her attendant brought different kinds of necklaces for her to see. The gemstones embedded in necklaces of different colours sparkled and twinkled under the bright lights of the room, every one of them tantalising to the eye.

"Let her try this one." Safiyah pointed to a silver necklace with an intricate design, with three diamonds encrusted in it.

"Ah excellent choice Mrs. Amalfitano!" The jeweller exclaimed and gently brought it out of its case to give to Safiyah.

"Here, let me darling."

Corazon sat so her back was turned and her neck was exposed to let her mother put the necklace on her.

"Now turn and let me see you." And after she did, "Wow! This is gorgeous mi querida, very beautiful." Safiyah chirped. "What do you think, Gualtiero?" She directed to the man who just entered.

The man let his gaze fall to the neck of his wife-to-be, "I agree." Then he lifted it to stare directly at her face, "But I say we keep searching." And he came to sit right next to her, barely a distance between them. "It should be very special." His words came out loud and clear.

"Okay then," The jeweller said then opened a covered box that was on the wide table to display an emerald necklace, "This is a new piece that just came in a few days back. It is very exquisite and plus it will accentuate her eyes."

"I don't think green is my colour." Corazon uttered softly to which Gualtiero remarked, "As do I. Green doesn't do enough justice to your beauty." Then he brought his face close to her cheek and planted a short kiss on it.

"Pshaw! I'm still here you know, no lovey-dovey shenanigans." Safiyah said pointedly.

"What's this? Are you perhaps jealous?" Gualtiero asked teasingly and stretched his arm over Corazon's shoulders, pulling her closer and earning a smile on her face.

"And why would I be? I have my own husband."

"Who isn't here."

"Doesn't matter and besides if I call him here he'll come running, hmph!" She muttered in indignation.

"Oh I'd like to see that then let's call him here, shall we?" He taunted in amusement.

Their banter incited a sense of gladness and joy within Corazon, her eyes shone brightly and her lips were curled into a permanent smile. They were her two favourite people, having them befriend each other only made everything better.

After the exchange of words, they finally got back to picking out the best pieces available and letting Corazon choose whichever she desired. She eventually picked a silver necklace with a lone hexagonal-shaped garnet serving as its pendant, which received multiple compliments once she tried it on.

"Muy bonita!" Her mother exclaimed in glee.

The jeweller and the attendants had showered her with praise upon praise. Only Gualtiero said nothing, he had simply stared at her with the tip of his lips curling upward ever so slightly.

Not until they had left the jeweller's and Safiyah had gone on her way, not until Corazon was left with him and away from prying eyes and listening walls did he finally say the words: Veramente mozzafiato, coniglietta.