Ynghadin (Part 2)

After leaving the shop, you sat in the carriage with Clara, jittering nervously, on your way to meet your parents for the first time in eighteen years. You were still struggling to wrap your mind around the fact that your parents, and by extension you, were members of the royal family.

"Don't worry, my Lady," Clara said reassuringly. "Regardless of their status, the Master and the Madam are very kind people. They've been waiting for this day for so long."

"I'm just nervous," You said. "I've been waiting for this day, too, but now that it's here, I think my heart is going to jump out of my chest."

"That's only natural," She said with a smile. "We'll be there soon."

In what felt like both an eternity and no time at all, the carriage stopped in the front courtyard of a wide, sprawling manor. White marble, alabaster, gold, and silk was everywhere, and the mansion itself spread out as far as the eye could see. There were several detached buildings, just as beautiful and resplendent, laid out on the grounds strategically to convey a commanding, fortress-like presence around the main household. There were knights stationed at all the entrances as well as patrolling the estate, though they had stopped momentarily to stare at the arriving carriage. It was... thoroughly intimidating.

There was a large fountain right in the front that sprayed delicate waves of water, creating rainbows across the mists. At the top there was a baby sitting in a lotus flower, with tears dripping from her eyes into the base of the fountain, where two adults, a man and a woman, reached out to the baby at the top, unable to touch her.

Elyngar opened the door to the carriage and held out his hand to assist you in stepping down, and Clara exited after you, instructing the footman on where to take the luggage.

Out in front was a line of butlers on the right and a line of maids on the left, leading into the mansion. On the right, an older gentleman in a more formal butler's attire made up the head of the butler's line, and an older woman in the typical outfit of a governess was in the lead of the maids. The servants in the two lines were a mix of humans and various non-humans, but the governess was the only one who was an elf.

"Welcome back, Young Master Elyngar," Said the head butler, a faun like Clara, who glanced at Elyngar before focusing on you. "My word... is this...?"

"She'll be formally introduced to the staff later, Reice," Elyngar said. "Are the Master and the Madam ready?"

"Yes, Young Master," Reice said, holding his gloved hand to his mouth in astonishment as he stepped aside. "They're in the library office beyond the west reception room."

"Excellent," Elyngar said, wrapping your hand around his arm. "Let's go, my Lady."

Taking a deep breath, you allowed him to escort you into the mansion. You couldn't help but notice that the governess's eyes followed you inside.

Inside the opulent foyer, there was a large staircase in the middle of the floor layout that led up to the higher levels of the mansion and wide walkways on either side leading deeper into the household. You were directed to a sitting room on the left of the staircase. It was opposite a closed office door.

"Wait right here, my Lady," Elyngar said, helping you to sit on a small sofa.

"Alright," You said softly.

He walked to the door and knocked on it, and a masculine voice from within said, "Enter."

Elyngar opened the door just wide enough to show himself and nothing else.

"Mother," He said. "Father. I've returned."

What? Were you going to be meeting his parents first before you met yours? How strange.