1.Compromised

"Leena," my mother-in-law called me while walking inside the kitchen and I turned my head to see her holding a medicine bottle.

"This one?" She asked, raising it in the air.

"Yes," I washed my hands and wiped them with the kitchen towel.

"There are only two pills left. I will call Bret to bring one on his way back home." She said and turned around with the thought of dialing her son's number when I stopped her.

"We are short on groceries. We can buy it on the way."

"Sounds good." She replied with her happy-go smile and I smiled back in return.

"Thank you." Her voice softened with the feeling of gratitude, and it made me stop in my tracks.

Oh! How I wanted to hear it from a certain someone!

Alas, too much expectation drains one sometimes.

"You're welcome and it's what a daughter would do." I expressed my true feelings to the amazing woman who has love me like her own daughter.

"My son, our family is so damn lucky to have you." Her words made me emotional, and tears spilled out of my eyes like a waterfall.

"I'm one hell of a lucky man to have you, Leena."

"Oh! Honey," Cassie pulled me into a hug and her warm embrace soothed the bitter emotion swirling inside me.

"It's hard on you, my strong child." She wiped the tears off my cheeks and for a minute I felt ashamed to cry out like a baby.

I blame it on the period.

Damn period. Making my emotion unstable.

"Is it?" My subconscious mind mocked me.

"Come, let's get you seated." She grabbed my hand and walked us to the living room where she made us seated on the sofa near the floor to ceiling window.

Not wanting her to read more into me, my eyes wander outside the window looking at everything yet nothing. Nervousness coursed through my body, and I was unaware about the reasons.

Yeah. Reasons.

I have been feeling off lately.

"Am I being a third wheel?" Cassie's voice broke away the trance I was in.

*If you're reading this story other than Wattpad then you're under malware attack.*

A month ago, a fine Sunday morning, we had just finished having our breakfast when Bret mobile rang informing him about Cassie being admitted to the hospital. Cassie had fallen down the stairs breaking her ankle in the process, and she needed someone to take care of her.

She had been a widow for the past five years, losing her love of the life in a road accident and had been living alone in their old home, 30 minutes' drive away from our home. Seeing her in a miserable state with a fractured leg, I insisted on taking care of her.

Being a nurse, I have a soft spot for a patient, and she was the woman who loved me like a mother. I couldn't trust another person to look after her, so she has been staying with us till a week ago.

In a way, I was repaying her care she had provided to our 4-year-old son Ryan. She had been coping with our schedule; taking him back from the daycare, sometimes dropping him in the morning when we were busy.

All in all, she had been a great help and being a family, we help each other out whenever necessary.

Taking my hands on hers, she made me look at her. But I couldn't face her inquiring gaze.

"No," I denied with a shake of my head while gripping her hands tightly.

"I get it that you don't want to talk about it, but you know it helps when you speak out rather than stuffing it inside your heart."

"Mom, Br-et..he seemed too busy with his work lately. Even Sundays are being compromised." I complained like a dissatisfied wife, and I hate to admit but I was at that point.

"Is it about the anniversary night?"

"Yes and no."

For the first time since we were together, he couldn't arrive at his promised time. I was up until 12 and dozed off on the sofa. At 2 pm, he finally graced me with his presence gifting me a Tiffany and Co earrings.

"He just..." I trailed off not knowing how to phrase my feelings.

"You're feeling neglected." That made me snap back to look at her face.

"It's normal to feel so when you two were literally joint at hips and now you both are busy at work to spare a glance at each other."

This year, I have night shift and we only have Sunday or the available holiday to spend time at home together.

I missed those earlier years.

"If you want, I can give him a hint that his wife wants him to spent time with her." She laughed wriggling her eyebrows and a smile take its place on my lips.

"In marriage, there will be times when your love will be tested and with times it will strengthen if both parties are willing."

Her words made me calm and bring a sense of clarity.

"And I know you're supportive of his profession as much as he is of yours. But you should talk with him about your issue."

*If you're reading this story other than Wattpad then you're under malware attack.*

I had resigned from the hospital to take care of our baby and this year, Bret talked to me to follow my dream. He knows how I have wanted to excel in the nurse profession.

"We had a talk last night. He promised to go on a week-long vacation when the projects end."

"That's good. Now we should head to the store."

Nodding, I walked to my room to freshen up and grabbing the clutch along with the mobile from the nightstand, Cassie and I drove towards the grocery store.

After shopping, we went to salon to get her new haircut and we went to pick up Ryan.

"Moma," He greeted me in his sweet voice, and I melted looking at the exact replica of his father.

Later, in the afternoon, Bret texted he will arrive late so Cassie spends the night here with Ryan and I drove to the hospital resuming my night duty.

The conversation I had with Cassie replayed on my mind making me hope for the best.