【Spring】

Byakuya Kuchiki is a man I never expected to make me drop my guard so easily.

So much so, it puts me in a bit of a pickle sometimes. We had been sitting outside the barracks yesterday as our squads sparred, and Kuchiki's sister walked by. Abarai, obviously distracted stopped midswing to wave at her. Ikkaku took his lack of attention as a sign of disrespect, (which it was) clobbers him on the head.

I found myself laughing at the two idiots, and from the corner of my eye, I saw Byakuya's lips curl upwards, and an unfamiliar laugh graced my ears. It was barely an exhale, drowned out by the chuckles of the other idiots on his squad, but in that moment it's all I heard. His smile left as quickly as it came, and the ringing in my ears blocking all other sound from me faded away. I spoke then, just to make sure he couldn't hear my heart knocking around in my chest.

"This is so boring, I almost fell asleep. I think I'll go join in and make your lazy squad members take this a bit more seriously."

His eyebrow twitched. "That would be unnecessary, Zaraki."

"And why's that?" Byakuya glanced at me from the corner of his eye and smiled again, though I wont deny that what he said completely pissed me off.

"They dont need to get serious to beat anyone from Squad 11."

'Damn you, and your pretty smile!' I wanted to yell then and there, but I laughed instead. "Tough talk, but can the Captain of squad 6 back that claim up against me?!"

"I'll will and I'll make sure your squad mates watch you lose." We drew our swords, and the area cleared quickly so we could duke it out. Who won wasn't important, (I did of course.) But afterwards, as we both stood panting and leaning on our Zanpakuto's, I stared into his steely grey eyes as cold as a blade. Is it possible to fight someone with your guard down? Hm, that's completely insane. He tried to free his sword from the ground, and fell instantly. That was definitely the highlight of my day.

"Haha! Who's teammates would watch who lose again, Byakuya Kuchiki?" I yelled and pulled my sword out of the ground. A pang of dizziness hit me like a brick, and before I knew it, I let go of my sword and watched it fall in slow motion, the sword's tip aimed right at my heart, and my body was falling right into place.

"Shit..." I mutter, watching it pierce my skin. I didnt want to be the real loser after what I just said! In the blink of and eye, a blast of Kido knocks the sword sideways, slicing my chest as its knocked away. As I laid on the ground, surrounded by my squad mates, Byakuya sighed and looked away after lowering his still smoking hand. I did the same, huffing.

'Yeah, this man's really gonna get me killed one day.'

Now, that's not even the first time something like this happened. There was the time with that big and stupid looking Espada, the fire in the barracks, the time with the falling oak tree, the crazy Gillian, I mean, I could go all day, damn it!

---

---

I sigh and put my arms under the back of my head. Damn it. I can't fall asleep. Everytime I close my eyes, I see that punk staring at me with that uppity look in his grey eyes. Then he'll smile, and say something rude just to piss me off, and turn away slightly. My chuckles fill the room. Then when _I_ piss him off, he'll close his eyes then open them, and say 'Bonzakura' or whatever he calls his little Zanpakuto.

"Hm." I laugh a little. I wouldn't mind fighting him to the death. Or maybe just tea with a little lunch. In hell, of course.

---

---

Anyways, after having my ass saved by Byakuya, I went to the squad 11 barracks as I do every evening to eat dinner with my squadmates. Most captains eat in their own room, or in the dining hall or whatever, but I personally dont roll like that. Nothing more, nothing less. I felt a familiar presence rounding the corner of the hallway and stopped. I could just tell he wanted something from me. Man, I hate thank you's, and apologies, all of that formal bullshit. If you're really sorry or thankful, someone would be able to tell! He approached and stopped about a yard away from me, staring straight into my eyes like he always does. I didnt wanna see that look right then, it made me sweat, for a reason that even I didnt understand.