Chapter 6 - Reconsidering

(the picture on top is Debora)

Michael was comfortably sitting on his beige leather couch, with his legs stretched, reading a book through a pair of glasses that he used solely when alone. Reading was the only thing that still helped him distract from the memories of his ephemeral encounter with Deborah that kept assaulting him. As he was reading, his mind suddenly drifted to those memories - again. Although his eyes were glued to the book, they were absorbing nothing of its content. When he realized that his mind was adrift, he sighed passing his hand through his hair. The lack of control over his thoughts was a sign that he had already given too much room to this woman. At that point, his next actions were legitimated by his strong desire to be with Deborah again. Even though he had dumped her twice, it only felt logical to fight for another chance. So there he was, waiting on the phone for an answer from the Opera House Event Coordination team. Oh, was he glad that in one of his fits of rage, he hadn't thrown away Deborah's contact card.

"Events coordination department, how can I help?" A female voice spoke.

She didn't even need to identify herself, Michael could tell it was Deborah; she had an unforgettable voice. "Is this - uh - Deborah?"

"Yes, Debora." She subtly tried to correct his pronunciation of her name. "Can I help?"

"Only you can help me, I guess." He truly meant it, but he threw a giggle that made the confession sound a lot more casual.

"Ok. What did you say your name was?" She tried to keep the conversation on a professional note.

"Michael Spencer." He replied.

Debora remembered him immediately. The man was engraved in her memory as the rudest client ever. "So," She took a deep breath in anticipation. "Mr. Spencer, how can I help?"

"With my project."

"Your project?" She had to make sure she had heard him right.

"Yes, my Christian project." He reiterated.

"The one you said I wasn't fit for?" She wasn't judging, but just trying to clarify.

"Exactly."

"I thought you didn't want to work with me, so I fail to understand the reason for this call." She expressed her doubts blatantly.

"I admit that I didn't want to work with you then." He admitted. "But you left me your contact card, for consideration, remember?" He kept fidgeting with the card. "And so I'm calling to take you up on your offer." He informed assertively.

His call sounded so out of the blue that she didn't know what he was talking about. "My offer?"

"Yes, your offer to work on my project, in case I changed my mind." He tried to remind her.

After his reminder, the scene came clearly to Debora's mind. She also remembered that she had left him a card for mere courtesy, but secretly hoping that he wouldn't consider that offer.

"I didn't expect your call, especially after a month." She confessed, losing part of the formality required for a client. "Plus, I'm swamped!"

Swamped or not, Michael would do anything in his power to have her working for him. "So, was your offer mere courtesy?" He tried to hint at her fake helpfulness.

"But Mr. Spencer..." she had no real argument. "After a month?"

"I don't recall you mentioning a deadline."

Debora bit her lip in aggravation.

"Which means that your offer stands till this day." He concluded the obvious.