20. Tipping of the Scales

"So, wot do you do anyways?" Kyle asked Grace as they headed toward the robotics bay. "You some kinda secretary or something?"

"Oh nah, I'm in charge of making people do things they don't want to do," Grace said with a laugh. "I guess you could say at this stage I'm sort of an impromptu copper. That's Police Chief to you."

"Now that I think about it, we haven't really got cops at the moment do we?" Kyle said.

"Eh, we've only a small group so far. Everyone's too busy off doing real work," Grace said sardonically. "But we do have few volunteers to keep an eye on things, keep track of thieves and such. We've also got a room to lock people up in."

"I s'ppose the gov'ness is looking to expand soon. Judging by the state o' things," Kyle remarked.

"Oh I don't doubt that," Grace replied. "Problem is, who is she goin' to recruit from?"

"I mean your volunteers seem to be doing a decent enough job," Kyle said.

"Yeah but they're all laborers. Push comes to shove, Laborers start somethin' up, you think they'll be the ones to reign them in?"

"So what are you gonna do then?" Kyle said. They were nearing the robotics bay at this point. A four legged automaton strode past, towering above its remote operator who was riding a transport vehicle slightly ahead of it.

"Way I sees it. We got two options," Grace said, holding up two fingers. "One, we make another specialist class: Policemen or Enforcers." She ducked as another automaton walked by, wobbling a bit as it went. She continued, "We recruit them from the upper class as they'd be the most willing. We've got a few crates of 'peace-keeping' equipment. We can use those to keep unruly folk from havin' a go."

"That sounds like a shit deal for labor folks," Kyle said. "What's your next idea?"

"Well, the other option is to appeal to a higher power," Grace gave him a furrow-browed look to see if he knew what she was getting at.

"Oh you don't mean..."

"Yup, we lean into religion," she raised her hands and shrugged.

"You're talking about that cult aren't you?" Kyle looked at her incredulously. Thinking back to it, that was why when they had first shown up at his hospital room the governess had been with them.

"If you got any other ideas, we're all ears," Grace said. "Well, we're here."

They turned the corner and Kyle was met with a rather astonishing view. At the center was an enormous hangar that housed all the automatons. Large spider-like machines hung from pulleys while small figures swarmed about sparks afly. The wobbling automaton that strode by earlier on long spindly legs settled itself onto an energy-hub and powered down to charge while men approached from the sides to inspect it.

"I'll hand you off right here," Grace said motioning toward a figure approaching them from beyond a metal fence that sealed off the area. "Good luck, mate." She gave him a rough double pat on the shoulder before moving to hail a transport.

"Right..." He said distractedly. Kyle had recognized the blonde man approaching on the other side of the fence.

His suspicions were correct. "Oliver, what are you doing here?"

"Wot a coincidence, mate. I just got assigned to Robotics too," the man said with a cheeky grin.

"Coincidence my arse," Kyle's mood instantly darkened, "And I ain't your mate."

"Be that as it may, looks like you're stuck with me. Let's 'ave a look then," He motioned to the man keeping the gate who nodded and waved Kyle through.