Chapter 2: Catching Up

The melody of the birds sang the same songs I remembered when I was younger. The breeze lightly wrapped around me like a cool blanket from my childhood. The sight of ornate teapots, tiered plates, and rose petals on a clean, white table welcomed me in for a light lunch. It felt like home, even if some of the flowers were different.

Prince Auris pulled out the chair for me to sit on while Prince Hayze placed a cloth napkin on my lap. Hot tea was poured into my teacup while a small sandwich was placed on my small plate by a butler. After such a long ride here, I was grateful for the pampering. The sandwiches, fruit, and cakes looked delectable as well. All I had for breakfast was some toast and jam which was several hours ago.

"Does it feel good to finally be done with school, Princess?" Auris started the conversation as he took his seat next to me. His own cup was filled with tea and two sugar cubes, just the way he liked it. It was almost surreal watching this now-grown man take his tea like he did when he was a child.

"I do feel good. I know that there is plenty more to learn in the world, but I am relieved that I won't be forced to learn anything formally. Late study nights, essays, and tests are not things I am going to miss. I'm glad that I can now explore my own interests as much as I please." I beamed, feeling proud of the fact that I was done with formal schooling. It was necessary for me as a princess, but it was still exhausting to go through.

"And what do you wish to explore now? I know that you had a lot of studies ranging from foreign languages to painting. Do you want to dive deeper into something you already know? Or something brand new?" Hayze questioned, a curious smile playing on his lips as he took his own seat on the other side of me.

Unlike me and Auris, Hayze preferred his tea plain and strong. He wasn't one for sweets in general. So, it didn't surprise me when he went straight for the sandwiches and passed the desserts on to me and Auris. Some things never change, I suppose. It made me smile. "I was thinking that perhaps I can continue to pursue a familiar interest of mine along with something new. However, I haven't decided what new study I wish to start. Do you have any suggestions?"

"That's a tough one. There are many different subjects that would be befitting to you, Princess Spira. Although. . . while I know that it may not be traditional, have you considered taking up a combative skill?" Prince Auris suggested, his expression thoughtful as he chose his words carefully. He has always tried to mind his words and always mean what he says.

"Learning a combative skill could be useful. While we will always keep you safe and do whatever it takes to keep it that way, we know that things may not always go according to plan. We may not always be there to protect you. You should know how to defend yourself until help arrives at least." Hayze reasoned between bites of his lunch.

Combative skills weren't considered very lady-like or princess-like. I was taught skills from more of the academic and artistic side. Besides that, combat skills were not considered necessary given how many guards were around and how high the walls around the estate and academy were. Though, I would be lying if I said that those talents didn't intrigue me.

I took a sip of warm tea and hummed. "What type of combat would you recommend for me then?"

Hayze grinned. "In a perfect world, we would want you to learn everything. Just starting out, though, I would recommend swordplay. It can help build your strength, dexterity, and overall constitution. Even if you are caught in a situation where a sword isn't available, being able to dodge and gain the upper hand could save your life."

"Are you sure you aren't just suggesting that so you could be her teacher?" Auris half-teased as he served himself a small chocolate cake. He's always been sharp and perceptive, but you may never know based on how gentle he always looked.