Power Struggle

7:38. I growled in frustration. Time seemed to be moving in slow motion. I lay on my back in bed, my head hanging over the edge, my music playing softly in the background. Stiles had gone home to check in with his dad an hour before, leaving me bored and agitated. We had spent most of the day just lazing around my room, with Stiles filling me in on every detail of what I had missed while playing sleeping beauty. I heaved a heavy sigh. Just months ago, I was a semi-normal kid. I went to school everyday, I strove for good grades, I was working for a normal future. Now I could hardly remember what future I had seen for myself. Now I just wanted to survive high school. In the short time I had been here I had learned so much. Seen so much. Done so much. Werewolves, Kanima, Darach, Banshees... I had become something else myself. And I wasn't even sure what I was. I had killed. And enjoyed it. I shook my head to shake away the memories, not willing to revisit that dark place in my mind.
7:42. Close enough. I back flipped up out of my bed with superhuman speed.
"Ugh. I don't think I'll ever get used to that." I muttered, looking down at my feet planted firmly on the plush carpet. I grabbed my jacket off my dresser and my keys out of my jewelry box and slipped silently from my room.
The house was calm. I could hear Elle on the phone in her room, probably talking to Brent, judging by the octave of her voice and her girlish laughter. From Mal's room I could hear soft music playing and the sound of pencil scratching on paper.
'Probably studying.' I thought as I ghosted down the stairs. The TV was left on in the living room, a weather girl blabbering on about the cooler weather blowing in from the north. I left it on and walked out the front door, careful to shut it quietly behind me.
The weather girl was right. It was considerably cooler out tonight in comparison to the night before. I habitually pulled my jacket tighter around me. Temperature didn't bother me anymore, but the reflexive instinct to bundle up was still there. I sighed and hurried to my car. It started with a low growl and slid smoothly from the driveway. I found myself smiling slightly. After everything, all the craziness, this car was the one constant in my life.
After a few minutes of silent driving, I arrived at the clinic. The sign in the window read 'closed', but the lights remained on.
"Here we go." I groaned, climbing out of the car and stalking around to the back of the building. There I found Scott's bike leaning against a dumpster. I knocked on the back door of the clinic and waited patiently. After a few seconds I heard footsteps, recognizing them instantly. The door creaked open to reveal the one and only Dr. Deaton. He smiled.
"Artemis. Come in." He held open the door and beckoned me in. I nodded in greeting and slipped past him. The stench of the clinic hit me like a brick to the face. I crinkled my nose in disgust and continued down the hall, following the steady rhythm of a heartbeat. I followed it to a room I was fairly familiar with to find Scott leaning against the counter, arms crossed, face serious. He looked up when I entered, dropping his arms and straightening up.
"Hello, Scotty." I greeted him and hopped up on the exam table, kicking my feet back and forth like a child. "How's it goin'?"
Scott's brow furrowed. I groaned internally. I hated it when he got like this. All deep and broody. Boring.
"Don't call me that, Artemis." I cringed. He said my name like an insult.
"Only if you stop calling me that." His face didn't change. "What do you want, Scott?" I stopped kicking my feet and stared him down. He remained still, thinking about what he wanted to say.
"Missy. I need you to remember."
"Not this again." I growled, throwing my head back in aggravation. Ever since I had woken up from my long nap Scott had been hounding me about how I had become what I was. I had no memories that I could deem helpful.
"Missy, please. Deaton said-"
"I know what Deaton said! I know all the possibilities! Don't you think I've been trying to figure this out?! I've read EVERYTHING! No, I wasn't bitten. No, my parents weren't monsters. No, I haven't been cursed... As far as I know..." I trailed off, glaring at the tile floor. Scott sighed and ruffled his hair in exasperation.
"I know. I know. But something happened to you to make you this way." I gave him a sharp look.
"What? You think I chose this? You think I'm holding out on you? You think I want this?!" I growled, feeling that familiar heat come to life in my spine. I felt my eyes change and took a deep breath to calm myself. Scott watched me, obviously gauging my reaction.
"If someone or something did this to you, whose to say there aren't more like you out there? Others with less control?" His expression softened a fraction. "I know you didn't ask for this. I didn't either. But we have to figure this out. Let me help you." I stared at him for a moment. He seemed sincere, but I couldn't bring myself to fully trust him. Hell, I didn't trust myself. He must've seen it in my eyes, because his expression hardened again.
"Missy, I can't help you if you won't let me." I bristled.
"When did I ask for your help, McCall?! Oh, that's right... I didn't! You may be an alpha. But you're not mine!" I snarled the last part in disgust. Scott took a step forward.
"Missy! I'm not trying to be your alpha! I'm trying to be your friend! Derek wants you dead and unless I can give him one good reason not to kill you, it's out of my hands."
At that moment, Deaton walked in calmly. He gave Scott a knowing look and turned to me.
"Listen to him, Artemis. You may not be close friends, but in your present situation, he is your greatest ally. I have given you my word that I will assist you to the best of my ability, but when it comes to Derek, I'm afraid I will not have much to offer." I glared at Scott for a moment, weighing the situation in my head. There was something off about Scott, but Deaton was right. He was my only supernatural ally at this point. I had to trust him. At least marginally. I glanced up at Deaton, then back to Scott.
"Fine. But there are rules. I am not part of your pack. You have no power over me. I have a say in anything pertaining to me. If Derek wants a fight, it's between him and me. You will not get involved." I stated, my gaze not wavering in the slightest. Scott crossed his arms defiantly, but nodded his ascent.
"Fine." I sat up and nodded.
"Good." I clapped my hands together and looked between the two. "So, now what?" Deaton raised a brow and glanced at Scott. Scott smirked.
"Now, tell me everything you remember, starting with your nightmares."
I rolled my eyes. 'This is gunna be a long night.'