How long is forever

The sun was rising when we finally made it home; we were all in good spirits after our night, but it didn't last long once we heard the news.

Matt was sat in the main building with his head in his hands "He managed to break the restraints, took out the guard on watch and got away" he was in pieces "It's my fault I should have checked them, I should have been on watch".

Walking over to him I took his hands in mine, feeling the same as him. We knew if Jason got away, he would be going straight back to Thomas which meant we would have a war on our hands. He wanted me, and I knew he wouldn't stop until he had what he wanted. Even before he was this dark shadow he was always strongminded, never backed down and that could be our downfall.

"It's not your fault Matt, even if he hadn't got away we know he would have found us one way or another" Matt nodded but I knew he was battling his decisions and nothing I said would make him feel better "We have enough that we can stay here for a while, no one goes out. We put more guards on watch and arm them better. We can make it through this".

Even though I didn't believe my words I knew its what he needed to hear, after what happened at the school we knew no place would be safe from them, but we couldn't live in fear. They had the numbers, guns, brutality and all we had was plain hope.

Matt set off on a mission to tell everyone the plans while I shut myself away in our living area, laying back in my bed as I stared at the ceiling and closed my eyes. My mind was having a marathon, and I was losing. It would always come back to this.

When I opened my eyes Carter was standing in the doorway, silently watching over me. "Hey" I whispered.

"Want some company?" I nodded. The brunette walked over and laid next to me, holding his arms out as I curled into his chest. His warmth was always settling, feeling his chest rise against me as he brushed his hands down my sides. We had been through this situation too many times and each time was a harder battle. "It's going to be okay Katie; I won't let him get to you".

I looked to his chestnut eyes, wanting to believe what he was saying but I couldn't. As much as I knew he would do anything to protect me, I wouldn't let him die for me. "I know. I just don't want anyone else getting hurt" sighing I gripped him tighter, hoping if I held him close enough everything else would fade away "but how many times can we do this, it's draining. But when it comes to it, what if I can't do it? The only way this will stop is if he dies".

"You won't know until it happens. But you don't have to do it alone, whatever you decide I'm with you" I kissed his unshaven cheek before relaxing back into his embrace.

"Why did you stop me from killing him, I would have done it then" Thinking back to the day he found us again I think I would have done it, the pure anger I held whilst holding the gun to him was nothing like I'd ever felt before.

"You were broken then. You were still blaming yourself for everything that happened, and I knew that if you did it then you would regret it. But now you are so much stronger, you know you don't have to run, and everyone here is backing you" This boy didn't know how much his words meant to me, even when he was hurt he still thought of my feelings, and I knew at this point he would do anything for me as I would for him.

Its funny that it took the end of the world to finally find someone who understands me completely.

Carter rolled us until he was hovering over me, his arms propped above my head to balance himself. His brown eyes melting into mine as he ran a finger down my cheeks, it's like I could see each emotion rushing through his iris's, but I would have never guessed what he would say next.

"When all this is over" he hesitated while brushing strands of dark hair from my face "I want to marry you Katie".

My breath hitched in my throat, but I didn't break the contact, I searched his eyes for any hint of hesitation, but I saw none. Carter was smiling down at me as if everything in the world was pure; I knew I wanted to but there was so many things in the way "We might not make it through this Cart, you know that" I sighed running my hands through his dark waves.

"I know that baby" he pulled us up until I was sat in his lap, my legs wrapped around his waist as he leaned against the headboard. His hand stayed in mine, stroking the skin around my ring finger "It gives us something to fight for. You are everything I wanted, even when I didn't know it. If we make it through this I want to marry you, even if we can't do it properly, we will know it's real".

Adoration for this man spread through my core like wildfire, he was so much different from when I first met him, I loved him then and even more now.

I nodded and he raised an eyebrow to me. "Yes. Yes" I grabbed his face kissing every inch of his cheeks, moving to his nose until I finally rested on his lips. His hunger was pure as he pulled us deeper, we were both smiling wide even when we pulled apart resting our foreheads together. "I want forever, however long that is".

"Then forever it is".

Edited