Slow Drive | Cars 2

Lighting couldn't contain a smile when he finally found him. Hidden in the shadows away from the soft city light, Francesco was parked with his back facing him, the ciao McQueen sticker still intact.

“Pretty impressive, isn't it?” Lightning spoke as he drove next to him. He could hear the hum of Francesco's engine.

“Ah, que bellissimo… Almost reminds me of my dear Italy,” he replied, his voice softer than usual but still with that lively spark. “Except this is more… dusty. A lot.”

“Eh, you'll get used to it. I did too, pretty quick.” His eyes kept glancing between Francesco, who didn't look at him, and the stars in the sky, which were nicely visible in this less populated area. Both were almost swallowed with darkness and both were a nice sight for sore eyes.

Lightning didn't mind the silence between them. He grew fond of the silent nights at Radiator Springs. Just the stars, the crickets, the soft buzz of the lights… It all became as comforting and familiar as a child's lullaby. And something about being able to share this with Francesco made him feel extraordinarily light, as if he could reach the highest speed without the slightest issue. Something about his engine joining in on the peaceful symphony made it even more magical.

“See? It's not so bad to slow down every now and then,” he muttered, this time focused on the sky so he missed the look in Francesco's eyes.

“I guess you might be right, McQueen-o. Back at home, even slowing down is veloce.”

“Oh, are you agreeing with me?” Lightning smirked. “I never would've thought we'd be at the same pace.”

Francesco grinned at him, so Lightning smiled back. Because no matter how irritating he was, his smiles were still contagious.

“Don't get too used to it, mio caro.” His engine roared through the night. “One day I'll show you how we relax and we'll be even.” Francesco backed away and turned to leave, muttering a “Buonanotte, McQueen,” which Lightning still managed to hear despite the noise that suddenly broke the calm peace of the night.

He watched him leave until even the last wheel disappeared from his sight, then let his smile widen and rolled his eyes.

Francesco Bernoulli… What an annoyingly majestic formula that made his wheels spin maybe a little faster than a car should.

Oh, Radiator Springs nights, always a treasured gift. If you could turn them into little figures, Lightning would've already replaced his own with them.