Sparks Fly | Chapter Five

14 / 09 / 2017

14 / 09 / 2017

Three days, nineteen hours, twenty-three minutes and forty-five seconds counting into our encounter. The consequences for straying off late were evidently faced by me the very next day to the tenth of September, nine-thirty p.m.- including an earful, being grounded- which definitely didn't work, and no access to my cellphone- the worst of all. This act continued for about nine days, presumably to teach me a hard time.

; Yet they became the best days I lived.

Like the days that serendipitously offer you a moment to pause and reflect upon yourself- as they say, 'Self-growth days'. Sometimes, just the course of such a few days can offer you the love and peace that elude you throughout the years.

And those days, I came across an Elysian- irenic in the secluded lanes of Seoul, where people discovered their true eudaimonia, one that gave me experiences that hold the most precious place in my heart. Sunflower Pages- A small bookstore on narrow streets where hardworking students came for a split moment of peace, just like me (except for the hardworking part.) ;

Two weeks and Four days since my coming to Seoul, my life hasn't been the same; chaos is all I've faced- from the twenty-seventh of August to the tenth of September. I've been an average student since middle school; some said it was because of my lack of interest or poor concentration- when I had nothing to distract myself with. The difference that Seoul made was that it gave me those distractions.

But the distractions that gave my life purpose, a reason.

/

The sun turned into a dull shade of orange- nearing the night as I walked back from school. I made a few friends here quickly, remarking it was not even a week since I enrolled. All the students here were dedicated and determined yet friendly and joyous. Even if they weren't, they pretended it well.

I was wandering off with my bench mate, Do-hyun, talking about our day as we usually do. "We have lots of homework today," I lamented. The work never seems to end, no matter how hard I work and the hours I put in. "Don't stress so much. If you have problems with algebra, you can come up to me." He assured, passing a sincere smile.

"Thanks, you've helped me a lot, Do-Hyun," I confirmed genuinely. "No problem." He smiled with his eyes and stopped in his tracks abruptly with his hands in his pockets, looking into a narrow alley. "What happened?" I asked, perplexed. "Have you visited the bookstore, Sunflower pages?" He questioned out of the blue. Baffled at his sudden expression, I denied and decided to ask him further. "It used to be my favourite place to study. I even worked there on weekends." He replied, chuckling at my confused state. "It could be of great help for studying."

"Bookstore? Here? That's like walking distance from my place." I remarked, trying to have a look into the small alley. It was narrow yet brimming with life, decorated with quaint lamps. As if embellishments for a festival. "Would you like to go in?" He asked politely, his tall frame hovering over me. I paused, rethinking until he cut off-"It's about dusk, though. Perhaps some other day if you'd like to. We can read some Jane Austen and share a cup of coffee." He abruptly acknowledged, causing a smile on my face. "Yeah, sounds good," I responded.

Moreover, I was searching for a modest place to work on weekends. Perhaps, as a little distraction from my fast-paced life.

I needed more allowance, honestly.

We departed at the street division and bid each other byes. A short walk to my home, and I slammed my bag on the long sofa, soon after followed my body. I stared at the ceiling, sighing as I turned over and took my books out of my bag. I hadn't much to do as my parents were not home for a few days. Again. They were rarely home these days- Seoul was giving them a rough time, it seemed.

And I also remember their clear and precise words before departing, 'If you loaf around at night again,'- and that was enough sign for me to repeat the act. So, I walked into my room, took a long shower, changed my clothes for the night and headed out after a while. After days, the stars were even slightly visible for once. The weather reminded me of him- him because there was no name to which I could refer yet. However, I knew for a fact that today it wasn't going to rain.

I looked around myself after a short walk- coaching institutions, cafes, clubs and buildings taller than the others surrounded all; a vast city with around nine million people. Perhaps, even if he's somewhere around here, a little closer to me. In the 9,941,000 people, what is the possibility of us? The chance of another coincidence under the celestial downpour? I wish not to estimate.

He had a way of disappearing, only to reappear. I paid countless visits to the park in the course of four days, only to find not a single trace of him. A glimpse is all I need to know- I'm not alone- an inspiration of a different kind. Perhaps my quest was hopeless in this figure of 9,941,000 people, but what my heart ached for wasn't. I roamed for a while, having a lasting view of the city, only to return home again with an aching heart and a peculiar burn in my lungs.

He asked me my name- so is he too on a quest as profound as mine? Did he search my name door to door as well? On uneasy nights, when he doesn't feel himself, does his brain form a clear picture of my state, or does his heart, just sometimes, echo my name- as mine does? Perhaps the lines of our palms foretell an unfavourable destiny. But I hope he perseveres because I will, even for such brief moments of peace- moments of this extraordinary connection we feel.

I might have reached home with an unsatiated mind, but my heart still reverberated with hope. Hope- what I had seen in his brown eyes that day.