Segment Six - Lynaria

My fingers dance across the flower petals tend to, my eyes focused on the different shades of purple this particular batch of flowers holds. I smile at their delicate petals, opening to my ginger touch. I keep trying to focus on the task at hand, but my mind has been idling all morning back to the way I woke up today. I had been having a nightmare that felt hyper realistic, which had been preceded by a very intimate, also very realistic dream between a certain demon hunter and I.

As I continue to work with the flowers, my heart increases its tempo, and I recall the wonderful feeling of Dante's strong arms encasing me in a comforting embrace. I woke up jarred by the thoughts of a red eyed creature stabbing into his shoulder as he lay atop of me in the intimate act of love making. I couldn't scream until the very end, as the claws of the creature found his shoulder, tearing into it like it was thin paper. Dante had been already awake when I gasped out in panic, finally freed from the dream, and was quick to comfort me in his quirky, but caring way.

He embraced me as I held back tears until eventually I let it all out, sniffling into his chest the entire time. I realize looking back now it's more than just the nightmare that provoked such an emotional response. It's everything that's been happening and at the crescendo of it all is the fact that I feel such a strong pull to this man I've just met. I have such a deep desire to do whatever I can to make him feel comforted and safe with a gentle touch and smile. It's almost as if a red string that was previously loose has become taut and at the end of it is him.

My face envelopes in a shade of cherry red as I recall the gentle kiss he offered my forehead before taking off to go survey the city and assess the damages from night before.

"I'll be back tonight. Don't you worry about a thing. I'm stronger than I look and I'll stand like an immovable mountain to protect you and your mother."

I become so distracted with the thoughts of before I don't realize that the flower I've been tending to is starting to wrap itself around my hand, blooming up to meet my nose. I gasp, laughing sweetly to the beautiful peony, whispering to it.

"Sorry, I promise I'm paying attention. You're going to go into a lovely arrangement today and to the baker's home you'll go. It's their anniversary and she just loves your color."

I did not realize that Annie had been standing next to me until I turn and almost run into her, causing a shocked gasp to escape my lips. She's smiling at me but something seems off with her face the more I look at her. She looks much more well rested than yesterday and her doll-like face looks even more perfect than it normally does. Her smile is genuine but it's the terse expression underlying in her eyes that is what's bothering me.

"Good morning Lynnie, you look like you're in a good mood. Did you sleep well?"

Her tone is even and sounds sweet, but again there's a rigidity to her voice that I can't pull out why would be there.

"Good morning dear Annie. I did," I offer a closed eyed bright smile, trying not to speak too much as I remember not to mention Dante's presence if it can be helped, "had a very pleasant dream this morning."

We idle in small chit chat and her mood seems to visibly brighten after some time. As we transition through the morning, Annie seems to be back to her bright and cheerful self. I'm doing my best to maintain focused on all the orders coming through, but find myself thinking about Dante and how his day is going. I try to keep my mind on the tasks at hand and don't realize it's noon until my mother comes down to relieve me for a break.

"You go first today Lynaria. I think it'd be nice if you get out to take your lunch. Maybe heading down to the cafe today for a good coffee break and sandwich?"

My mother smiles as she puts an apron on, gesturing to Annie.

"We can give her our orders to bring back?"

Annie gives a nod to my mother, her eyes flickering behind me in an anxious manner that is short lived. She gives me a warm smile and tells me what she wants. With that, I'm out quickly to enjoy the sunshine and cooler fall weather that's come over the last few days. As I walk down the cobblestone path on the sidewalk, I find a most welcome sight before me.

An ever handsome man clad in a red long coat with a charming smile aligns in my vision. My heart feels like a rose in full bloom as I wave to Dante, receiving an even warmer welcome with his arms out. The sunshine really brings out the shades of blue and subtle grey of his eyes, which I thoroughly enjoy.

"What good timing, Aria! Let's grab some lunch!"