Chapter SIX - The Darkness

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was possibly the most prolifically terrifying locale to ever step foot in without sight. Even the journey to was filled with unwelcome thrills and petrifying obstacles.

As if running towards a wall to reach a train platform wasn't an odd enough requirement (which blindness did come in handy for, if only as a means to overcome my terror of snapping my nose upon inevitable impact with cold stone), the mere thought of having to boat across a giant lake in the company of heaps of eleven year olds wasn't much better. I could hear the other students oohing and awing as the boats rowed closer, their sounds of wonder trickling in to excited chatter over the beauty of the castle and the thrill of the coming ceremony.

It was ironic really.

My father had explained that the boating across the river was a sort of school initiation for students to view the castle for the first time in all its splendor.

Too bad I would see none of it.

Instead, I dug my nails into the side of the little wood boat, gritting my teeth as the younger students rocked it back and forth in their excitement. Splinters dug beneath my fingertips and little droplets of water splashed hastily over my knuckles as the boat swung heavily to one side.

Thankfully, a croaking, hesitant little boy by the name of Oliver took a liking to me and offered his hand upon realizing my disability. He was the only student to offer a word directly to me, the others keen on whispering bizarre gossip of my age and whereabouts to each other when they thought I couldn't hear them.

"F-forgive me miss." The boy cleared his throat a few times which did little to ease his stutter. "N-name's Oliver Threshing. And y-you are?"

I hadn't been sure he was talking to me, partly because my fear had tuned out all else aside from the threatening lapping of the water.

He tapped my hand gently.

"Miss? You a-awright?"

"No." I regretted the harsh clip of the word but my muscles screamed as the boat rocked again. "Wren Harding." I tried again.

"Pleasure ta' m-meet ya." Oliver dropped his voice to a whisper. "I d-do apologize if I'm wrong in guessin', but... are ya b-blind miss?"

I nodded, worried I'd snip at the boy again if I forced out any other words.

I could nearly hear the boy straightening his shoulders, his voice lowering a bit as he attempted to offer reassurance. "Not to w-worry miss. My mother's sister's cousin's daughter is b-blind and I'd be awfully happy to help g-guide ya if ya need."

Another splash of freezing water tapped my fingernails.

"Been helping her me-self for the past year or so she been walkin." He continued and I couldn't help but smile a bit at the way he spoke.

"That would be lovely Oliver. Thank you."

The boy was true to his word, offering the crook of his arm to me as we stepped off the boat though he proved a bit too short and ended up gently leading me by my wrist instead.

The warmth of the castle air brushed my nose as we stepped up the final step and I had to tuck a finger beneath my nose to keep from sneezing. The smell of candle smoke and cooked ham hung thick just beyond the first room.

The preceding ceremony was another experience entirely. The sound of quiet chattering students on either side of the room shifted expectantly as the first years and I- well, we first years, walked through the center.

"Why's that one so tall?"

"Ought to be older than eleven don't you reckon?"

"Oi! I think she's blind! Just like-"