42

Adrian's first Christmas involved no three hour car ride, no over the top photos with Santa Claus in a mall, no elaborate plans in general

Adrian's first Christmas involved no three hour car ride, no over the top photos with Santa Claus in a mall, no elaborate plans in general. Taylor's parents and brother were coming into New York and Grace had promised to try and consider the drive upstate to visit her family later in the week but didn't see it being feasible.

They would have come down to them but Michael was extremely allergic to the cats, in fact, the first he met his nephew was in the lobby of their apartment building for about half an hour. Amber and Gracie ended up staying a few hours while Michael ran some errands in the city afterwards.

Taylor and Grace didn't get out much at all. While Adrian was just about three months old, he was still a handful. He laughed, lifted his head when set down on a play-mat on the floor, he could even roll over. He slept about three hours at a time through the night which was fantastic for them, but Taylor still stayed close to home for the most part.

She had done some promotional stuff for the Red re-recording but she saw most of her next year filled with recording her tenth studio album and planning a tour to accompany it for the following year while still spending lots of time at home with her family. Her late nights with Adrian were some of her favourite moments ever, especially when she'd put him in the baby swing next to the piano and played nursery rhymes for him. He'd smile and laugh, throwing his arms around with those jerky movements. All that hair he'd been born with had slowly faded away, so he was bald and sometimes more than a little silly looking because of it.

So that Christmas Eve, Austin was holding Adrian while making faces at him. Adrian was cackling at it, leaning against Austin's legs. Austin would stick out his tongue and Adrian would laugh harder, while Grace stood in the doorway behind them watching. She could see Taylor filming it on her phone as she had some hot chocolate with her parents. Grace had volunteered to make dinner that night and was actually coming in to say it was ready.

Grace felt more like her usual self now that it had been a few months. She still had hard days but she assumed she always had and always would. Taylor had been very supportive, sometimes a little too supportive. One morning, Grace hadn't realized Taylor had taken Adrian out of his bassinet and found him asleep in his crib while Taylor had nodded off in the rocking chair. When asked about it, Taylor had said Grace looked tired so she warmed up some milk from the freezer and let her sleep. Grace had only minority freaked out about Adrian 'missing'.

It was definitely an adjustment but they were getting through it and that's all that mattered.

"If anyone's hungry, dinner is on the table," Grace said and saw four sets of blue eyes look at her.

Taylor took Adrian from Austin carefully and asked, "Think I should I put him in the swing or in a wrap?"

"Try the swing and if he's not fussy then at least we can eat like real people," Grace answered as they all headed towards the dining table. She'd made chicken, roasted potatoes and veggies with a salad. It hadn't been that much effort but everyone was quick to thank her for doing it.