The tech business is intense

Anya's first ten minutes of freedom were amazing, she ran through the streets with a wide grin on her face, pumping her arms and legs furiously.

After those first ten minutes however, things went downhill. As soon as the first major train station she saw came into sight she turned right back around and ducked behind a local kiosk, trying to keep out of sight of the B-road men in black suits who stood conspicuously in front of the station.
Man my brothers work fast, she craned her head around before snapping it back, the tech business must be really intense for them to go to these lengths.

Anya shook off the slight inconvenience and smoothly slipped into a crowd of passing teen girls, crouching down so she didn't stick out. After a block one of the girls turned to here and said in a sickly sweet voice, "Umm who are you?

Anya just flashed her a quick wink and said, "You never saw me," before slinking away into a side alley to gather her thoughts.
Okay, she thought as she leaned her head against the rough brick facade, local train stations are out... which most likely means airports are as well. Which leaves... What did it leave?
There were exactly two ways to get to New York from Washington on her budget, flight or train. Unless you were crazy and decided to road trip it...
Anya snapped her head forwards in excitement, that was it!

With a new pep in her step, Anya walked back into the street and stuck her hand out with confidence until a cab pulled over and the driver rolled her window down, "Where to?"

Anya slide into the backseat with a smile and said, "The nearest gas station on a main road."

The driver scrunched her eyebrows in confusion but ended up shrugging and signalled before joining the flow of traffic, not ten minutes later Anya was jumping out of the car and handing the women a couple of Gideon's crisp bill and said with a smile, "Keep the change."

Anya looked around the quiet gas station as the driver pulled away and zeroed in on her target. New York plates... check. Friendly looking dog... check. Travelling alone... check. Perfect.

Anya readied herself as she walked over to the blue Toyota and halted not even ten feet away before sitting down on the cold concrete and broke into tears. As water streamed down her face Anya glanced around and nearly laughed in relief as Anya saw the Blue Toyotas middle aged owner walking towards her, a concerned expression pinching here faintly lined face.

"Are you alright dearie," The women asked as she crouched besides a blubbering Anya.

"Oh sorry," Anya wiped her face as she looked up at the women and said, "It just... I-I- I'm going to miss my sisters weddingggg," She proceeded to collapse in even bigger sobs.

"Oh that is awful!" The women said, a stricken expression in here face, "What happened."

"Well," Anya started, "I'm here to visit a friends from college and was supposed to fly back this morning but on the way to the airport I got mugged! My phone, suitcase, even my money all got stolen! So now I have no way to get back to New York before the wedding and I'm going to miss the most important day of my sisters life!"

The women's face pinched in concern before a spark entered her eyes and she said, "I have an idea! I'm actually heading back to New York and should be arriving by this evening, if the timing works for your sisters wedding you can come with me!"

The tears stopped streaming down Anya's cheeks and she gasped, "Really! Oh you are a lifesaver," She did not even need to fake the relief in her voice.

"Of course! Anything to help a fellow New Yorker in need! Now I just need to fill up the tank and we can head off, my name is Josephine by the way and that Labrador in the car is Hawking."

"I'm Penelope," Anya said with a warm smile before rising up from the ground. Did she feel guilty for taking advantage of this genuinely sweet women? Of course. But was manipulating a stranger better than being held hostage by four men who claimed to be her biological siblings? Undoubtedly.

Which was why Anya had no trouble when half an hour later she was sat in Josephine's passenger seat, filling her in on all the details of her dear sisters wedding enjoying the radio, AC and satisfying knowledge that she was going home.

Bit of a shorter chapter but DON'T JUDGE ME. I feel like Anya is so morally grey and I am loving it 🤣