Arc 5

And Andrea brings Valerie to the top floor. Valerie walks around the room, dozens of guests already hard at work with their creations. Andrea spots an open workspace and brings Valerie over to it.

"What do you think I should make mom?" Valerie asks as she looks over the array of parts.

"What's one thing you'd love to make the most? There's an abundance of pieces here, you just need to fit them in a way to make something you like. I can think of a few that you might love most" Andrea answers.

"Well, I love history. So maybe I could make a small model of an old building, or maybe a catapult. I also enjoy reading. Maybe I could make a small book, like a large keychain or something I can put in my school bag" Valerie says, suggesting it to herself.

"Go right ahead sweetie, I'll be right here if you need help" Andrea says.

"Your daughter there, she's pretty creative" a woman says from the workspace next to her. "I may suggest that if she's making a book, to make the corners not so sharp. I had a friend who works with metals and construction. One of his small projects had a lot of sharp edges. He tripped and fell, and one thing led to another."

"I'll let her know, thanks" Andrea replies.

She watches as her daughter takes two larger plates of metal, and connects them with some small screws. She does the same with the side pieces, and she soon has a rough model of a book.

"Hey mom, I was wondering if you could help me add something to make it look like a bookmark on the top, and maybe see if I can get an inscription made on the front?" Valerie asks.

"Sure, I'll see what I can do" Andrea answers happily.

After a bit more work and some help from someone who oversees the building, Andrea gets the welding of the pieces done. And she hands it to Valerie. Before they leave however, Andrea rounds out the corners and attaches a chain and loop for her bag.

"Hey there you two, have you finished building yet?" Andrea asks as she comes up to the rest of her family.

"I made a detailed UFO, and I wrote in my initials to the bottom so sis doesn't steal it" Sam says as he shows it to her.

"Why would I steal it? I'm not into sci-fi like you are!" Melissa objects.

"And what did you make there behind you sweetie?" Andrea asks as she points.

"I, um, made it for you. I hope it's not bad" Melissa says shyly.

Andrea picks up her creation, which is a small platform with some rounded sculptures of people on it. Two stand at a taller height, with three shorter figures.

"There's you, and dad, and me in the middle. And there's also Val and Sam on the sides" Melissa tells her. "Do you like it?"

"I love it sweetie, thank you" Andrea says, giving her a hug and a kiss.

Joshua pats Melissa's head. "She wanted to make something special for you so that you could remember this place. I told her it would be hard for you to forget it, but she insisted. And believe it or not she made it all by herself."

"Oh did you now, you're a little architect to be" Andrea says with a light laugh. "I love what you all made, you did a great job."

"Do any of you want to make another one?" Josh asks.

The three of them raise their hands and reply with an excited "yes!". Josh keeps an eye on them as they walk over to the empty spaces.

"Do you want to make something while we're here honey?" He asks.