Chapter 4

The pack gathered around in the front yard, circling around the participants. I looked around to see Naomi standing near the wolves that were racing, her arms crossed. I recognized Mason, interesting that I found him so easily because he's short, talking to another pack member who was way taller than him. I count at least nine pack members that stood in the center of the circle. Children and Mother-wolves are mainly the ones that are going to watch, but there was others like me, like Taby-Cat.

"Hey, didn't see you here," someone whispered in my ear.

I must of jumped at least 5 feet, because the person who scared me was laughing. I looked behind me to find Taby-Cat chuckling.

"That wasn't funny!" I exclaim.

Taby-Cat chuckled even more, "It was funny to me."

I shake my head, "Well, you scared me! It almost gave me a heart attack!"

"Who do you thinks gonna win?" I asked before he could reply.

As I actually look at him, he still had bandages on his arm.

He scratched his head, "Well, there's a few here that are scouters. I'd say they would have an advantage, according to their experience, but there's others here too. Mason is the fastest, he'd be able to get back faster. I see Naomi, but I don't know how she'll do. Why is she racing anyway, I thought she was punished?"

"It's a long story, I'll tell you later."

Suddenly Alpha barked for silence; I didn't realize he was there in the first place.

He then spoke, "Some of you are wondering why you are gathered here, most of you heard the rumors. Today I challenge any wolf that has the nose and speed to track, it's called Track Racing. This will prove to me how far you're rank is, how you've improved. But all and all, this is a fun activity.
The purpose of Track Racing is to track a scent and bring it back. I have placed dead rabbits through-out the forest. It won't be easy though, I have rubbed many herbs and ferns to hide their scent, and one obstacle you'll go through to get to the rabbit. Whoever retrieves 4 rabbits, one at a time, will win.
One wolf will keep track of the rabbits per wolf,  Namid. I will make sure that all wolves aren't hurt out there."

I look up to Taby-Cat, and he was looking intently at Naomi.

Taby-Cat suddenly said, "Naomi challenged Alpha, didn't she?"

"Well, she suggested-" I tried to say but Taby-cat turned away before I could say anymore.

He then left my side and walked to Naomi. I panicked, How would Naomi deal with Taby-cat?

Alpha had walked over to talk to one of the participants, a perfect chance for Taby-Cat.

I watched as Taby-Cat walked over to Naomi and grabbed her arm. She seemed startled, and she looked up at him. Taby-Cat seemed to be telling her something, because she shook her head and yanked her arm away. She seemed angered, and she said something to him before walking away. He walked back, his eyebrows furrowed.

"What did you say to her?" I asked.

He shook his head, "I tried to convince her not to go, but she refused."

I looked down at my sneakers. I just hope she doesn't turn for the worst.

Alpha had stood once again in front of the crowd. He spoke again, "Participants line up."

Pack members lined up, and the rest of the pack stood behind them. Taby-Cat came back to my side, and we both watched.

"When I say go, you start your journey into the forest. On your mark--"